Chapter Five

Zira's eyes fluttered open, her red irises bright and fierce in the evening light. She was startled to see the pride of Outsider lionesses surrounding her, their murmurs low and their eyes full of concern and frustration.
Shani was closest to her and Zira's eyes immediately locked on to the lioness.
"What's going on?" she growled.
She raised her head to glare at Shani and waited impatiently for an answer.
"You passed out," she said bluntly.
Zira cocked an eyebrow but said nothing. The lionesses shifted uncomfortably until one finally decided to speak up.
"We're only trying to help you, Zira! Why can't you see that!?" she roared.
"Asilia!" the lionesses next to her growled.
"What?!! I'm only speaking the truth!"
The ruddy gray lioness named Asilia glared at the others in utter frustration.
"I'm tired of her not appreciating our help! And I'm tired of her not taking care of the unborn cub!"
Suddenly Zira snapped.
She launched herself at Asilia, a snarl ripping from her throat.
She tried to duck out of the way but Zira was already on top of her.
She dug her claws into her shoulders, the hot blood trickling onto her paws.
Asilia snarled and tried to push back but she was too strong.
"You're putting your cub at risk, Zira! Don't you see what you're doing!" she cried desperately.
Zira brought her mouth next to the lioness's ear, her breath hot against her cheek.
"Never question my parenting, or so help me I will rip out your throat and feed it to the buzzards."
Asilia gulped and nodded slightly.
"Good. Now get out of my sight."
Zira stepped to the side and Asilia stood up. Then she ran to the termite mound, not bothering to look back.
Zira turned back to the others.
"All of you should follow her lead. I don't want to see or hear from any of you tonight."
Shani opened her mouth to say something but Zira's icy glare immediately shot her down.
The other lionesses nodded and walked towards the den. Shani hesitated before following after them, her ears pinned back against her head.
Zira watched them disappear before turning to stare out at the distant Pridelands.

She stood there for a long time as the night slowly draped its comforting darkness around her. Her red irises glowed and her tail swished back and forth, back and forth, and yet she did nothing as she stared at the distant society that she had once called home. She stood in silence, still and statuesque against the equally silent and still background.
Then she started to walk forward, her paws dragging across the dry and dusty ground.
I must talk to Scar. I can't take this anymore. I can't live like this... I need him... and he needs me.
Her paws carried her across the Outlands and towards the border between the barren wasteland and the lush savannah.
I must talk to Scar.
She walked wearily across the log between the two territories, her body numb and her eyes fixed on the other side.
He needs to know. He needs me... and his cub.
She set one paw into the Pridelands before walking forward into the long welcoming grass.