[ 16 ] the upper hand

the upper hand

ASPEN always wondered what the difference was between heartache and heartbreak

ASPEN always wondered what the difference was between heartache and heartbreak. She thought they were synonyms, two different words that shared the same meaning.

She was wrong. She understood the difference now. Heartache was something she's been experiencing for years, watching the person she loves love someone else. When she sees the way Stiles looks at Lydia, her heart aches.

But heartbreak? Heartbreak was seeing the look on his face and realising that their kiss was nothing to him. Heartbreak was the realisation that he knew she kissed him back, and still proceeded to tell her it was nothing more than winning a bet. Heartbreak was knowing that things between them had changed now, and she had no idea how to go back.

"He kissed me." Aspen mumbled to the Argent girl beside her. Those three words would be expected to a happy statement, but not in Aspen's case. Her eyes fixated on the tile flooring of the girl's bathroom. Allison wasted no time in embracing her in a hug when she noticed her tears and the somber expression she was wearing. She didn't answer, waiting for Aspen to elaborate.

"He kissed me for a stupid bet we made." her shaky voice continued, her eyes still couldn't meet Allison's.

She was humiliated.

Mortified.

"I kissed him back." she finally said. "I fucking kissed him back, Ali, I'm such an idiot."

"No." Allison was quick to interject. "You're not an idiot, Asp, he is. So what you kissed back the guy you like? That doesn't make you stupid, anyone with basic human instincts and reflexes would do the exact same thing. Stiles is braindead if he can't see everything you have to offer."

"Don't you get it?" Aspen whispered. "He knows now."

"So what? Maybe this was the smack on the ass he needed to wake the fuck up. Or maybe he'll carry on being a braindead moron, and if that's the case, you can do better." Allison comforted.

Aspen finally looked up to meet her raven-haired friend's eyes, and was able to form her lips into a half-hearted smile.

"Thanks." Aspen smiled.

"No problem, I'll be your hype woman any time you need." Allison said cheerfully. "You're coming out with us tonight." she added, more of a statement than a question.

"I am?"

"Yes, you are. You can either tag along and enjoy the night solo, or I could even get one of the lacrosse players to come out as a date for you? Choice is yours."

The offer was tempting, but after what she'd been through today, Aspen didn't fancy the pressure of a date.

"No date necessary. I'm in."