― chapter 43.

❝ it doesn't take much to be a good person

❝ it doesn't take much to be a good person. ❞

"I DON'T WANT TO talk to Robby Keene ever again in my life."

With those words, Ayane walked past Sam and went straight upstairs.

Ayane didn't care how sorry Robby said he was, because he had hurt Miguel. And that was something Ayane didn't know if she could forgive him for.

And to make her mood even better, now Ayane had to think of a way to get her dad on board with covering the cost of Miguel's surgery.

She could go talk to Liana, and maybe find a way from her. Ennis was not exactly Ayane's go to person at the moment.

But it would not hurt to ask.

Ayane picked up her phone and dialed the correctional facility.

"Hi, can I speak to Ennis Cain?"

She was put on hold for a few minutes, until someone finally answered again.

"Who's this?" Ayane recognized her dad's voice.

"I-It's Ayane. I have a question."

There was a pause. "What do you want?" Ennis finally replied.

Ayane hesitated. "Um, well I don't know if you've heard about the school fight. Miguel- he got kicked off of a second story balcony."

"I did hear," Ennis replied, "your mother told me. This girl you fought, who is she?"

Ayane closed her eyes briefly. "She's crazy is what she is. I don't really know why she started the fight, but- that isn't why I'm talking to you. Miguel has to have surgery for his back and it's going to cost a lot. More than his family can cover."

"And you want me to pay it off," Ennis said knowingly.

She was quiet for a moment.

"Well... yeah."

"Give me a reason as to why I should do that," he said, his tone monotonous.

Ayane clenched her jaw. "Maybe you could just do it out of the kindness of your heart, you ever think of that? It doesn't take much to be a good person."

Ennis went silent for awhile, until Ayane was beginning to wonder if he had hung up.

"Fine. I'll pay for it."