Chapter seventy six - Shock

Tony's POV

"He did it." Nebula said. She was the only one left.

Peter had dissolved in his arms just after Loki had disintegrated, but Tony didn't realise that until he looked up and saw you crouched on the ground. He wanted to go to you, but he was in too much shock to move, to think. He felt guilty about the relief he experienced when he saw you alive.

He was glad he hadn't gone to you about five seconds later, because your entire body convulsed violently on the floor, and then a sort of shockwave emanated from you. It was your magic. Tony braced for impact as the purple wave shot through him, but it did nothing but knock him backwards slightly.

"Is she okay?" Nebula asked.

"No." Tony said. He recognised that you were experiencing the 'feeling' you had told him Loki had described.

All that was left of your magic now was a shimmering shroud of purple mist enveloping you. Trying to protect you from what you were feeling.

Tony stood up and wobbled, putting a hand out to steady himself, wincing at the pain in his stomach. His stitches wouldn't last long. He was a fool for not letting Strange heal him.

"Hey, Nebula. Is that right?"

The blue robot lady nodded.

"We need that ship, can you see if it's good to fly?" Tony asked, pointing towards the ship that Quill, Mantis and Drax had arrived in. Nebula looked over towards you, back at Tony, and nodded.

Tony made his way over to you, with absolutely no idea what he was going to say. When he reached your side, he crouched down gingerly, gritting his teeth from the pain. Then he gave up and sat heavily down on the ground.

You didn't look at him; your eyes were shut tight. You were still on all fours, hunched over as though to protect yourself from something, your hair obscuring your face.

"Kid?" Tony said hoarsely. He was trying hard not to think about Peter. You didn't reply, but he knew you'd heard him.

"Y/N." Tony said, louder. Your mist shimmered, and began to fade. He watched as your jaw clenched and unclenched several times, the muscles in your forehead and temples working overtime. He couldn't imagine how you felt, if it had been Pepper...

Oh god, Pep.

He'd been in shock from losing Peter he hadn't even comprehended that what had just happened here had happened across the entire universe. What if Pepper...

"I'm sure she's okay."

Your voice was so quiet Tony barely heard you; it sounded as though it had been painful for you to speak. He looked up at you to see that you hadn't moved, but your eyes were open. You must have heard his thoughts.

Tony tried to find the words, but couldn't. Eventually, with what looked like all the effort in the world, you pushed yourself up to a sitting position.

"Kid... I'm so sorry." he told you. Your expression was scaring him a bit, you looked... empty. You shook your head infinitesimally, your gaze drifting to a point just over Tony's left shoulder, where it stayed.

Tony was silent for a while. Eventually he remembered that he had sent Nebula off to check the ship; he didn't know her well, what if she took it and left you here?

If you'd heard that last thought you didn't show it, or you just didn't care.

"We need to get over to that ship, it's our only way out of here." Tony told you. You just shook your head slowly again, your gaze still on something far, far away.