𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟖: 𝐂𝐑𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐌𝐔𝐒𝐓𝐘

"Why does no one listen to me?"

   ANNABETH ORDERED THEM A CAB.

    She practically shoved them all in the backseat of the car and told him, "Los Angeles, please."

The cab driver chewed on his cigar as he eyed them, "There's three hundred miles. For that, you gotta pay up front."

"You accept casino debit cards?" Annabeth asked.

     He shrugged. "Some of 'em. Same as credit cards. I gotta swipe 'em through first."

     Annabeth handed him her green Lotus Cash card. He looked at it eyed it uneasily .

    "Swipe it," Annabeth told him.

     He did.

    His meter machine started rattling. The lights flashed. And Eris' eyebrows raised as an infinity symbol came up next to the dollar sign.

    The cigar fell out of the driver's mouth. He looked back at us, his eyes wide. "Where to in Los Angeles...uh, Your Highness?"

    "The Santa Monica Pier." Annabeth sat up a little straighter with a small smirk. "Get us there fast, and you can keep the change."

   Eris looked at her like she was crazy. Was Annabeth seriously going to give away all of her money?

    The cab's speedometer never dipped below ninety-five the whole way through the Mojave Desert.

     On the road, they had plenty of time to talk. Percy told them all about his latest dream, he seemed to struggle remembering certain details.

    "The Silent One?" Annabeth offered. "The Rich One? Both of those are nicknames for Hades."

    "Maybe..." Percy said, but he still sounded unsure.

   "I'm sure you'll get your memories back," Eris said quietly, leaning against Annabeth.

     "That throne room sounds like Hades's," Grover said. "That's the way it's usually described."

   Percy shook his head. "Something's wrong. The throne room wasn't the main part of the dream. And that voice from the pit...I don't know. It just didn't feel like a god's voice."

    Annabeth's eyes widened.

"What's wrong?" Eris asked.

     "Oh...nothing. I was just—No, it has to be Hades. Maybe he sent this thief, this invisible person, to get the master bolt, and something went wrong —"