Part 49: Allies or foe?

I had prepared Ellios just in case, since my pride would not let them remember this conversation. 

I myself knew that I shouldn't be asking this at all, but my curiosity on wanting to know their opinion on me grew. 

Obviously, this process was going to hurt. I was ready to feel pain, maybe as a warmup for what would come later. 

Ivy had obviously somehow changed their opinions about her while I was away. 

I had to admit that it was quite the bold and daring move, but nevertheless a smart one. 

I would have done the same if I were in her shoes, striking as the villainess was away from the academy. 

Without beating around the bush, but getting straight to the point, I opened mouth and put a refined smile. 

"Would it be out of line to ask your opinions on me?" 

That's when I shifted the look in my eyes to a more oppressing mood, almost as if I were forcing them to talk. 

Heavens, I knew that I was destroying every relationship I had with them with every action. 

But I knew that they already had rearranged sides, from the villainess's to the heroine's like they all should have in the story. 

At least I'd keep a stern face in the last seconds of our friendship, to keep their pity off me. 

They weren't answering; except, they were staring at me in a strange way. 

Aren't they supposed to be scared? 

Obviously, I could ruin their whole life with a snap of my fingers, so why weren't they trembling while muttering an answer?

"Pfftp......................" 

A string of small laughter came after. 

Now that my reputation had been degraded and overshadowed by Ivy, were they now brave enough to mock me?

"Roselyn, I do think your trust in us is too small. How could we ever," another stifle of laughter came out of Seria's mouth, "betray you for Ivy?" 

She looked down with a sad expression over her face. 

"Perhaps we're one of the only students in this school who knows of her true nature and what she has done to you." 

"But anyways!" A rather determined look replaced her gloomy one. 

"We'll always be on your side, no matter what!" 

Ciana and Emerald seemed to nod after Seria, and at that time I was so grateful. 

Did I deserve this feeling of being supported unconditionally? 

They weren't lying at all, and it seems all my worrying and self-pitying all went to waste.

"......Thank you." 

It was a rather short appreciation, but those words had all my emotions in it. 

Seria handed me a handkerchief, seeing the brim of my eyes were glistening. 

I quietly nodded and accepted her generosity, because Seria knew me better than I thought. 

Its quite ironic, actually. 

I felt guilty of manipulating her, but even so, they were still on my side. 

Looking at them, its like they have a hint of what I did to get them to be my friend, but they accepted me anyways. 

'Thank you, oh thank you so much.'