Familiar Locket

We were taking off in Andrew's hot air balloon. I was watching as Varian was rambling on about the mechanics and the science behind the hot air balloon. "You know sapphires, I bet you could create a way to put some sort of boost system at the bottom of the basket to make it go faster." I said pointed down to the sides of the basket. I watched as his eyes slowly widened. "Oh my god you're a genius!" He suddenly pulled me close and kissed my forehead before crouching sitting down and pulling out a small notebook. "I can create the boosting affect by using the Flynnoleum!" He said and I watched as he started making blueprints in the notebook. "You know you're really cute when you get all excited and focused on alchemy." I said and he looked up at me with a small blush covering his freckles cheeks before it turned into a soft smirk. "I could say the same about you when you're explaining your different crystals and what they mean." It was then my turn to blush as I looked away and I heard him laugh softly.

"Ballooning is one of my passions. What better way to see natures gifts than from a birds perspective. Besides I don't condone modes of transportation that exploit animals." Rapunzel was cheering and glancing down at the world. "It's like being inside a giant lantern! It's magic!" Before Varian could say anything Andrew beat him to it. "Actually it's simple science but yes your highness, it can be quite magical."

"If anyone knows about science and magic it's Varian and (y/n)." Eugene said. "Yeah, Varian's an alchemist and (y/n)'s is a witch." I heard Cassandra say and my eyes shot up to look at her. "Aw that was the first time you said it nicely to me!" I said as I hugged her. She simply pat my head and I sat back down with Varian. "Really? I had no idea witches existed." Andrew said looking down at me. "W-well we do...so...yeah." I said awkwardly. "How long have you lived in Corona, (y/n)?" Andrew asked and I would've avoided the question but everyone was staring at me wanting to know. "Umm I would say about two years. Maybe three? I've known Varian for about a year now and I've known the others for a couple of months I'd say." Varian looked at me. "You don't keep track of days do you?" I shook my head no. "I only really pay attention to week days because you and I always see each other on Wednesday's. There's not really a need for me to keep track of everything else." I said shrugging my shoulders. "What about your birthday?" Rapunzel asked. "I only celebrated my birthday with my mom so once she was gone and I was on my own I never felt a need to celebrate it anymore. Though every year on what I'm guessing is my birthday something ends up on my door step. Whether it be bones, crystals, herbs, or even books." I said looking down at my hands.

One of Varian's gloved hands held mine. "You should tell me when that happens again so we can celebrate your birthday." He said smiling at me. I felt heat rise to my cheeks and I nodded. "What happened to your mother?" Andrew asked me. "She was burned at the stake." I said. I watched as everyone's eyes widen except for mine and Varian's. There was an awkward silence after no one knew what to say. "After that somehow I ended up at the meadow, and I've lived there ever since." I said trying to lighten the mood. "You don't know how you ended up there?" Andrew asked me and I saw something in his eyes that was unfamiliar. I shook my head no.

We all watched as Andrew pulled the cords for the balloon. "You wanna make your life easier, have Cass here pull those cords for you." Eugene said holding up one of Cassandra's arms. "She's got some serious pythons under there." She pulled her arm out of his grip went over to Rapunzel. After a short while of them talking Rapunzel bent down to Varian and I. "After the balloon lands you both are free to go. Oh! And no more talking about her muscles!" I tiled my head to the side but I sighed in relief.

"Oh thank god this is going to be over soon. This has been one of the most awkward days of my life." I heard Varian say soft enough so only I could here. "I agree. This night has been...something else." I leaned in towards Varian's ear. "But I'm still not too sure about Andrew. I know Cass can handle herself, but I don't want anything bad to happen to her." Varian pulled me closer to him to whisper in my ear. "We should follow them. Plus I still have a bet to win." He said smirking at me. "If anyone has a bet to win it's me sapphires."