CHAPTER FOURTEEN

MATTHEO RIDDLE IS YASMINE AMARO'S. CALANTHA, ERISED, NICCOLÒ, KASSANDRA, AND EPIPHANY ARE MINE. ALL OTHERS UNLESS MENTIONED ARE JK R*WLINGS.

+++

T R I G G E R
W A R N I N G

SWEARING, ABUSE

+++

+++

LORD the day was going strangely. Ever since Erised and I had sex I felt so confident in myself. Though I still wasn't eating, I found myself to be comfortable walking around the corridors in fitting clothes, no longer living in sweatpants and oversized hoodies. It felt so weird wanting to get up in the morning and see everyone. But I knew it wouldn't last, because it never did. This happened last year, too. The entire two to three weeks before the anniversary--the anniversary of my Mother's passing--I was energetic, hyper, lively, and fun to be around. It was like my brain was telling me to suck up to the amount of pain that would hit me in time's coming and only to prepare me for what that day would leave me feeling for the next month afterward. No matter how long ago it was, and no matter how much I tried to ignore it.

And while I pushed all of those thoughts aside and tried to think about everything that was happening around me, I started to realize things that I'd completely forgotten. Things like Epiphany, and how she happens to be Mattheo's sister. I let it slip my mind in a second, not even blinking twice at the realization that they were related. And on top of that, Draco started acting friendly towards me again, he was being just as bipolar as Mattheo was. It was almost as if nobody around here knew what they wanted.

And so, as I sat next to Epiphany in the library and stared out the window, I allowed myself to take long, deep breaths, exhaling and inhaling as I tried to force my mind blank. My head was crowded, no matter what, I was always thinking about something. I needed to get my mind off of it, I needed to have fun--perhaps, to go into a closet for seven minutes like I had with someone only weeks before, or, perhaps, visiting Erised's room again. No, maybe I could have a drink or two, maybe I could smoke.

"Hey," Epiphany reached up and pulled a strand of my hair, causing my head to jolt and my eyes to snap toward her. I smacked her hand away from me and her small laughter bounced in and out of my ears as her luminous eyes seemed to light up as she watched me snarl at her.

"And yet you still ask me why you haven't any friends," I rolled my eyes playfully and smiled at her, placing my arms on top of a pile of books and resting my chin on them, staring at her as she shrugged her shoulders and smiled, showing her small dimples.

"Why should I need friends when I have you?" she rested her head on my shoulder and leaned into me.

"You do not want me to be your only friend, Epiphany, trust me."