27

BEING AN ANGSTY TEENAGER WAS an everyday thing for Siobhán Parten. She was sprawled on the grass outside, letting out of a deep breath of smoke. Her cigarette was lit up and carried between her fingers as she gazed above at the sky. Regulus had made such an influence on her that she would try anything to break away from the Gryffindor house.

"What are you doing down here?" Lily Evans came down the hill with a sundress on. Siobhán sat upright as soon as she heard her voice, fixing her hair with an unoccupied hand. Lily frowned as she sniffed an all too familiar smell. "Have you been smoking?"

"One way of coping through the day." she grinned, blowing out her cigarette with a step of her foot. "I must say no one saw this coming, but look where we are now." she shook her head, strands of hair getting in her face. "I'm a complete mess and you are happy as can be."

"Come back." she put strands of auburn hair behind her ears. "The girls miss you and so does Remus," she informed as Siobhán gazed out at the black lake in front of her. "Sirius even misses his old buddy."

"I don't think I deserve to be welcomed back into your arms as if nothing happened." Siobhán put her hands into the pockets of the leather jacket she was wearing. "Especially after what happened between James and I."

"Yes, you do deserve to be welcomed back. Why would you ever think that?" Lily interrogated, eyebrows furrowing at the girl in front of her. "I believe — no, I'm positive you'll be welcomed back. Everyone misses you. I can't comprehend how you don't miss them."

"Stop making assumptions." she harshly spoke. "I've missed everyone so much..." Siobhán broke off. "Yet, it seems like I hate you all. The truth is that it's just how I think and what I believe."

"Sib," she said in a desperate tone. "Just come home."

"My home is nowhere near you lot," she commented. "I know I'm a Gryffindor at heart, but not once will I say it's my home. It used to be. Now it's just the reminder of James and Marlene rubbing their relationship in my face."

"What in the heavens are you on about?" Lily approached, placing her hands on her hips. "Marlene and James aren't dating anymore. He broke up with her yesterday after coming into the common room all gloomy."

Siobhán's breath hitched at Lily's words. James Potter had "broken up" with Marlene Mckinnon, even though Siobhán didn't even say anything about him having to. She glanced over at Lily who was now gazing at her with a pleading expression.

"I'll come." she cut short, going up the hill and not looking back once at Lily Evans. Siobhán let out a shaky breath and ran a hand through her hair.

"What have I just committed myself to?" she muttered under her breath.

———————————————

Regulus Black and Siobhán Parten were sitting on a couch. Her legs were reclined on his lap as he had both of his hands behind the couch. She had a book open in her hands, leafing through the pages.

"You're telling me you agreed?" his tone was laced with distaste. "I thought you didn't want anything to do with them anymore."

"Surprise?" she shrugged her shoulders and continued reading her book. "I know it's contradicting everything I said, but trust me — I'm just trying to conceal the time I lost."

Regulus hummed, nodding multiple times. He had been conflicted over the fact that she could go back to being the old Siobhán he knew. There was no problem with the subject, but it just didn't seem right after all this time. She had grown into a strong, independent girl who he admired so much. He had even thought of actually running away from home because of her. Now it was all just a recollection of memories.