Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The heartbeat in my head forced the rest of my body to wake up. My mouth was dry and the burn of alcohol lingered in the back of my throat. I would have expected the sun to be streaming through my window, but my room was almost pitch black.

Three glasses of water sat on my bedside table along with two aspirin and a blue Gatorade. It even had the sippy cup lid.

I rolled back over and wailed in discomfort. A sliver of light from the hallway brightened my room. Someone tip-toed into my room and shut the door behind them. The person's footsteps halted at the side of my bed.

"Freeman, I know you're awake," Wayne murmured. I peeked out one of my eyes and saw that he knelt next to me, holding a plate.

"I don't wanna talk right now," I croaked. I uncovered my eyes and stared at the ceiling.

"We don't have to," he said. "But you do need to eat. Drink some water and take these." The pills were in Wayne's hand, offering to ease my pain.

I closed my eyes and turned my head away. He sat on the edge of my bed and shifted my head back to meet his eyes.

"No, no. You can't sleep right now," Wayne said in a soft tone. "Please, just do this for me, and then you can relax for the rest of the day."

He cares. "Fine." I rolled on my stomach and gave in. "But only because you begged."

Wayne scoffed and smiled down at me. I sat up and swallowed the medicine. The water surprised my body and mind. It was a little cold, but the tingle was necessary. My breaths came out smoother.

Wayne gave me a weak smile. What is wrong with him? Does he feel bad for me? He probably does.

"Are you okay?" I examined his semi-blank stare. Wayne shook his head infinitesimally, shaking his thoughts away and changing his expression to an almost happy one.

"I cut and peeled some oranges and made you eggs," He changed the subject. "I also added some saltines, they are my favorite when I'm hungover."

Wayne set the plate on my lap and settled the gatorade next to my thigh. I picked a peeled orange slice with two of my fingers and put the whole thing in my mouth. I scrunched my nose as the taste of vodka mixed with the sweet fruit. My eyes compressed shut.

You're a good kisser.

I raised my eyebrows. Did I kiss someone? Did someone kiss me? What happened last night?

"What's wrong?" Wayne lifted my chin with a finger. My jaw dropped. Did I kiss Wayne?

"I've gotta get up." I moved the food and whipped open my blanket. I crawled around him and my feet touched the ground. Blood rushed up my whole body, increasing the pain of my splitting headache. I winced and lost my balance.

Wayne caught my waist. My body froze where his cold hands touched my hot body. When I was steady, he stood and turned his back on me.

"I'm sorry," I apologized. "What's wrong?"

Wayne's head searched around my room. He took off his shirt and threw it to me. I fell back onto my bed and felt the soft fabric. I lifted my eyes to his flexed back. It looked so...don't finish that thought, Beth.

"Why-?"

"Put it on." Wayne demanded.

"What is it with you and me wearing your clothes?" I joked.

He stepped away from me. "You're um-"

I'm what? I thought. I looked down. The lacey bra I wore yesterday and a pair of black underwear were the only things covering my body.