Realization - Josuke x Reader

Requested by @banana_kakyoin

As per the request, the reader in this chapter is male.

Warnings: None

~~~~~~

"Hey, Okuyasu, how can you tell if you like someone?"

Okuyasu perked up, lifting his head off of the couch. "What do you mean?"

Josuke felt his face heat up as he clarified, "Like, uh, how do you know if you like like someone?"

Okuyasu thought for a moment. That was a tough question. How was he supposed to know the answer?

With a shrug, he replied, "Isn't it, like, a heart thing?"

Josuke rolled his eyes. He knew asking Okuyasu about it was foolish since Okuyasu was, well, Okuyasu. Still, he thought he would get a better response than that.

"Nevermind," Josuke dismissed with a wave of his hand.

Okuyasu blinked before laying his head back down, already forgetting the question.

Josuke had had some... confusing feelings recently. Feelings regarding you. These feelings wouldn't have been so confusing to him were it not for one, simple fact.

You were a guy.

Josuke knew what it felt like to have a crush. He'd had several before, though they had all been girls. Thus, it troubled him when he realized he was starting to feel those same types of things for you.

When you had first joined his friend group, you were rather shy. Admittedly, Josuke found this annoying. He was used to his talkative buddies Okuyasu and Koichi being able to keep up with his playful banter.

But you weren't like them. You weren't usually the one to speak up first, and you never tried to get in the last word either. You interjected every now and then, but you mostly kept to yourself.

Were it not for Koichi swearing up and down that you were a great guy, Josuke would have stopped hanging out with you altogether.

With a sigh, he told Koichi he'd give you another chance. The shorter boy smiled as Josuke promised he'd put forth an effort to get to know you.

And that's how you ended up hanging out one day outside of school. Josuke had invited you to the arcade to play video games - his favorite hobby. He figured it would be a good way to see if you had anything in common.

Though, once at the actual arcade, Josuke had to stifle his own laughter as he watched you fumble your way through each and every game. You were just... terrible! You would always laugh it off when you failed miserably, to which Josuke would respond with words of encouragement. Secretly, though, Josuke was losing hope you could ever be friends.

You left the arcade with nothing to show for it. Josuke had won plenty of tickets which he traded in for some bubble gum and a cheap handheld toy.

"Want one?" Josuke asked, extending you the gum.

"No thanks," you replied politely. Your eyes widened slightly when you heard Josuke sigh.

"Geez, we really have nothing in common."

You stopped walking when he said that. You weren't sure why, but the way he said it hurt you a little.

"What do you mean?" You asked him.

He stopped and turned around to face you. "You don't talk much, you don't like bubble gum, you don't like video games..."

You shifted uncomfortably as he stuffed his hands in his pockets.