five.

A few weeks had passed, and it was nearing mid-September, meaning that football season was coming to a start, and Mekhi's first game was in one week

A few weeks had passed, and it was nearing mid-September, meaning that football season was coming to a start, and Mekhi's first game was in one week. She had washed her jersey, and she was fully prepared. Ever since they were younger, if she could help it, she never missed a game. Sakari wasn't even that big of a football fan, but he was so good at it, and she knew he loved having the support.

When his parents had to work, or one of them couldn't make it—even if neither of them could leave work in time to be there, he found comfort in knowing Sakari always was. It never failed.

At the moment, Sakari was on her way to her dorm from her last class when she heard a familiar voice from the corner.

"I-I told you I can't deal with this shit anymore, Jaden. I'm not—I can't," she heard her newfound friend—Aja stammering.

"And I told you I was sorry, Aja! You know I ain't mean that shit and she don't mean nothing to me, I love you, baby," whatever guy she was talking to said, and as badly as Sakari wanted to mind her business, she felt she should stay around, so she did.

"No! No," Aja snatched away from him. "She means more to you than I do and we both know that, Jaden," she said through clenched teeth. "I'm sick of you making me look stupid all over this fuckin' school while you do whatever you want! I'm not—I won't," she shook her head furiously and he just stepped closer to her.

"Back up," she said, voice shaky, and Sakari was on alert, already making her way over, just in case. "Move!" she exclaimed, pushing past the guy and walking briskly in any direction, Sakari could see he was about to follow—so she decided to intervene.

"Aja!" she called with a smile, acting like she didn't see her friend crying. When she looked over, her smile dropped. "Hey, you okay?" she asked in a concerned tone, walking over to her and briefly glancing over Aja's shoulder to see if the man would approach them, and he didn't.

"Sakari? I—hey," she sighed. Her usual chipper tone was replaced with something much heavier, like you could tell she'd been carrying this around. She furiously wiped her fave to rid herself of the tears.

"Hey," Sakari said simply. "Everything alright?" she wondered.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine, don't let me hold you," Aja replied, pulling back from her.

"No it's okay I just wanna make sur—"

"I'm okay, don't worry," she flashed a quick smile and before Sakari could stop her, she was taking off toward what looked to be her ride.

As badly as she wanted to follow her friend, Sakari knew she probably needed some space right now, so she resolved to text her whenever she got back to her room

Sighing, Sakari resumed her trek back to her dorm when her phone dinged, indicating a text from either Mekhi or Jelani. They both had the same text tone, since she talked to them the most.