🌞Chapter 32🌻

🌞🌻

Gulf had flung open the door to the side room, throwing caution to the wind.

Mew looked at Gulf and his eyes narrowed. Gulf knew Mew was mad, but just for a moment, the man's expression showed the relief and tender emotions that were welling up inside him. Just seeing him standing there like an Arabian lion, his eyes and skin framed by a white thwab, Gulf's pulse quickened.

As Mew strode toward him, AA moved between them.

"Leave him alone," AA said.

"Move. This doesn't concern you," Mew warned softly.

Even standing behind him, Gulf could sense AA's annoyance and the way he was frowning at Mew.

AA refused to back down either. "I can't do that. As your cousin and childhood friend, I can't just ignore how irresponsible you're being."

"You're just worried about Yaya, aren't you AA?" Mew sneered. His face, as sculpted as a doll's, made him look even more cruel.

"Whatever it takes." AA fixed his eye on Mew.

Gulf looked at the two of them, staring each other down, and found his resolve. Or rather, he renewed the strength of his resolve. He couldn't let Mew behave this outrageously. Mew couldn't just force his way into other's people houses to chase after a man.

"I'm not going back there. I'd rather kill myself right now than go back," he said emphatically.

A muscle in Mew's jaw twitched. He stared at Gulf, his enormous passion trembling jn his eyes.

"How ridiculous..." he began, but Gulf cut him off.

"I'm serious!"

Gulf thought that he might cry. He fought back the urge and glared at Mew. It was tragic that he had to reject the man he loved so much.

"Cousin," AA murmured. He glanced back at Gulf, then turned his eyes on Mew. His voice grew stronger, demanding, "Have you ever considered Gulf's feelings?"

Mew's expression instantly became icy. Gulf turned his eyes away. Whaenever he looked at Mew, he wanted to run to Mew's side, ro embrace him and make the same mistakes all over again.

But then everything he'd done to get here would have been for nothing.

AA kept pressing his attack. "I feel sorry for Gulf. You must know that there will be no peace for him in Madina. You, the cool-headed and self-assured Mew Suppasit, have taken this man to your side without even considering what that will do to him. The public would jump all over Gulf. It's not like you to get so carried away with your emotions that you don't think of something so obvious."

Mew was silent. He had probably never in his life been told off by someone else, and he had no response. He pressed his lips together, deep wrinkles creasing his forehead.

Gulf decided to break in, unable to see him like this. He didn't want to watch Mew be degraded by AA.

"AA, that's---"

But AA went on. He hurled his frank opinions at Mew, ignoring Gulf's attempt to restrain him. "I'm sure you realize that if anyone were to find out that Gulf was here, you would have to send him away. He has no alliances with anyone here. As long as Gulf stays, his presence in Madina will offend everyone."

Maybe AA wasn't actually doing this to protect Gulf, but rather to protect Mew. He didn't really know very much about Gulf after all.

Mew didn't move or say anything.

AA drew closer to his cousin and laid his hands on Mew's shoulders, as if amazed that the prince still didn't understand after all that was said to him. "You can't lock him away for the rest of his life. His spirit would crumble under the pressure. You do realize that, don't you?"

Mew stared straight ahead, not responding to the harsh criticism. AA shook him, completely fed up.

Finally, Mew opened his mouth heavily.

"Did Gulf come to ask you for help to get back to Thailand?" he asked.

AA nodded urgently. "That's right. He thought I might be able to do something. He was desperate. I want to help him."

Mew never once looked at Gulf. He probably considered Gulf's flight from the women's quarters and his reliance on AA as a double betrayal.

"As one of your countrymen. I beg you." AA continued. "You will be the next king, and I want you to choose right now---him, or your fiancee Yaya?"

Even Gulf thought AA's ultimatum was audacious. He swallowed and watched Mew.

Mew maintained his silence, throwing no emotion. But it was clear he wasn't deliberating about who to choose.

"This should be simple," AA said, pressing for an answer.

And Mew's lips were finally loosened.

"I suppose it is," he said curtly. Life returned to his face and the same old spark was in his eyes again. He had made his decision.

He turned his back on Gulf. That was his answer.

"To show my appreciation, why don't I let Gulf stay at my house until the wedding and coronation?" AA asked. "I think that would be best for you too, Mew."

That was so Mew could face reality. Certainly, if he was confronted with the reality of their separation, he would have to deal with it.

Mew left the room without another word. Gulf stood staring blankly after him. Mew had left without him, without ever looking back at him. Mew was showing that he didn't need Gulf anymore, now that he'd made his decision.

TBC