🌞Chapter 14🌻

🌞🌻

Gulf decided to skip work the next day, and went srraight to Mew's apartment after school. The doorman remembered him and let him in directly. He passed through the hotel-like lobby and went up to the fifth floor.

Mew appeared, smiling brightly. "There you are!" he exclaimed.

He led Gulf to the living room and offered his visitor a drink. Gulf asked for a beer, afraid that if he asked for wine he would be served something outrageously expensive again. Mew had been drinking brandy before Gulf arrived.

"Mild called a little while ago and said he'll be here shortly." Mew said. "Once he gets here, we'll all go to a Chinese restaurant."

Gulf remembered Mild's admonition to not get involved with Mew and felt a little uncomfortable.

"Should I really go along when a friend of yours is coming to see you?" he wanted to know.

"Of course," Mew replied. "He's an old friend. There's no need to worry about formalities with him"

Gulf had no choice but to agree.

"Oh, do you have the ring?" Mew asked, taking Gulf's hands.

"I keep it in my pocket." Gulf hastily pulled out the chain with the ring on it. "I'd like to give it back to you actually. I'm adraid I might lose it."

"Is it too big for you?" Mew inquired. "I'll get it adjusted."

He seemed not to have heard Gulf at all.

"Do I have to wear ir?" Gulf asked.

"Of course. Whenever you're in public." Mew laughed. "It's the symbol of a fiancee of the Jongcheveevat family."

Gulf felt dizzy. But he wasn't about to give up now. Mew didn't seem to be as horrible as he'd thought, but the man was definitely strange.

Mild arrive after this exchange.

For a moment, he looked surprised to see Gulf, but he quickly recovered his ironic smile. "So you got involved with him after all," he said. "You must really like him, Gulf."

"Gulf's going to be playing Eliza from 'My Fair Lady', and I'll be Professor Higgins," Mew declared. "I suppose that makes you Colonel Pickering."

He seemed to be truly enjoying himself.

The movie 'My Fair Lady' is about a girl named Eliza, a flower seller in Covent Garden who became a refined lady under the guidance of Professor Higgins, a linguist.

"Well, if were re-enacting the movie, how about a little wager, Professor?" Mild said, getting carried away too. "Eliza had six months to become a lady, but how long do you have, Gulf?"

Mew shrugged. "Six months is a walk in the park. We have three months to break up the old man's scheme before the engagement party."

"You're telling me that Gulf will be standing by your side at the engagement party at Hyde Park Hotel in Knightsbridge in three months?" Mild asked incredulously.

"What exactly do I have to do?" Gulf butted in.

"All you have to do is be my fiancee," Mew said. "That's not hard. Oh yes. As we discussed before, you'll be paid 300-pounds a day. I'll start today. I'll also pay a clothing allowance to get yourself set up, so don't worry about that."

"Wait just a minute!" Gulf cried out. "Do you know how many days there are between now and
May? And I won't be able to pay you back if it doesn't work out."

"Gulf is right," Mild said. "Making up a contract would be better for both of you."

His words reassured Gulf. There were some things that Mew couldn't really understand, but Mild was a journalist and had common sense.

"All right," Mew conceded. "We can arrange it tomorrow. Even though I'd be happy to take Gulf to Dorsett today if it meant I could stop the old man,"

"Don't be so hasty," Mild said. "I think Gulf is in shock."

"I'm going to be relying on your help, Mild." Mew said seriously. Then the mischievous glint returned to his eyes. "Or should I say, Colonel Pickering?"

His friend shrugged. "Anyway, the thing to do now is have dinner. We can work out the plan later."

No one contradicted this.

Even in England, where the food is reputed to be so bad, relatively good Chinese food can be gotten at expensive restaurants---places Gulf could only dream about in his penniless state. The three ate a good deal before leaving the restaurant.

TBC