006. the astronomy tower

S O R R Y

 vi||the astronomy tower

The weeks that follow after the potions incident are strange to say the least. Maria had barely spoken to Regulus, not even the snarky remark or the sarcastic comment that is totally uncalled for. This makes Regulus think something is seriously wrong with the brown eyed girl. Seriously wrong. He can't recall a time in the last week when she's said something like 'shove off, Black' or 'don't mock me, Black'. He can't recall the last time she's used his last name with such venom.

She's just sit there. Occasionally stirring their potion whilst Regulus read from his book, turns out they're quite the 'dream team' — as Slughorn would phrase it — when they're not at each other's heads like cats and dogs.

No, at first he thought he was dreaming. That he would wake up and see the usual sarcastic girl when he returned to potions class. But on this day, she doesn't show up at potions class.

Why? He doesn't know.

Not that he cares or anything, but doing your potion work alone surrounded by people in pairs is tricky, even for a good potions student like Regulus.
So this is when he finds himself walking up the stairs to the astronomy tower with his hands in his leather jacket's pockets.

A good few steps from the top he hears a faint sniffling sound and his eyebrows furrow slightly as he continues to walk up at a slower pace.
Once he reaches the top he sees the back of someone, brunette hair cascading down their back and a baggy grey hoodie to shield them from the chilly breeze on the tower.

Smoke is blown out and up from the girl and Regulus Black finally realised who it is. Maria Euphemia Potter. Sat with her legs dangling over the edge of the tower and her chin resting on her arm that's propped on the lowest railing.

Regulus considers his options for a few seconds. He can either slowly sneak back down and pretend that he'd never seen her, he could approach her and make a sarcastic observation, or he could just walk over and sit there.

The tousle haired boy curses himself as he walks over and sits next to the girl wordlessly, looking out on the miles of fields and mountains.
He feels strangely at peace next to the Potter girl, he's never been one for 'comfortable' silence. But in this case, he could sit there forever, staring out across the empty grounds.

Maria doesn't need to look to know who it is, she figures it out instantly at the scent of strong, expensive cologne and the faint, barely noticeable, scent of cigarette smoke lingering on his usual leather jacket.

"What are you doing up here?" Maria asks quietly and Regulus shrugs, neither of them taking their eyes off the scenery.
Regulus ponders how to respond, usually he'd make a witty comment like 'could ask you the same question' but as he flickers his eyes quickly to the girl he noticed how tired she looks.