[73]

The blazing rays of the sun pierced her skin, warming her up to an intense temperature

The blazing rays of the sun pierced her skin, warming her up to an intense temperature. It was so goddamn hot on that spring day that it made news around the globe. Mostly as proof of climate change and how its worsening at a rapid pace.

Yet Soomin was entirely covered by woolen, black cloth. She wore a long dress with short sleeves, tight-fitting tights and heels. Her delicate hands were covered up by gloves, their fabric reaching her elbow. On the top of her head laid a dark hat, shielding her eyes from the sun.

She strutted down the alley, not batting an eye in the direction of anything around her.

Well, that was until she reached her final destination.

Her grave stone was the exact same as they had left it the last time she was here: exhausted, now ugly gray candle at the bottom of it, accompanied by a bouquet of dead flowers. 

The only new addition seemed to be a single red rose that laid beside those items. But it was drying up too, it's delicate petals slowly de-attaching from its body.

With a shaky breath, Soomin looked up to meet those eyes. Those piercing, beautiful eyes staring back at her from the haunting image.

It was tough, it really was. Meeting your long-lost sister, but she's already gone.

Soomin bit down on her bottom lip, gulping down the whimper creeping up her throat.

"Hey... it's me again." She began in a small, feeble voice.

"Yuna... I mean, Aera. Your name was Aera. By now you probably know that. But wow, they're both such beautiful and suiting names." Soomin chuckled lightly, trying her best not to tear up.

"I'm sorry. On behalf of my parents, Donghyuck, your own mother. I'm so terribly sorry for what happened to you."

"I can't help but wonder sometimes: what if it was me that was taken? What if now, you would've been living my life, one of luxury, whilst I may have been in that grave instead of you?" Soomin let out a long sigh. "I've thought about it. But it's useless now, isn't it? I can't reverse time, even if I tried."

"I know that I've never talked to you... but I don't know what to do. I have absolutely no idea. Everyone around me is telling me what to think, throwing useless words at me that make me so confused."

"Sunwoo... I hate him so much. I despise it from the bottom of my heart. But he's so terrifying, he's saying such absurd things, but they feel like the truth... I wish I had a sister like you in my life. One that I could confide in, one that I could rant to and cry to. From what I've heard, I know you're a beautiful soul, Aera, and I'm sure I'd get along with you perfectly. And you'd probably know what to tell me, help me find a way to escape this mess of a life I'm living."

But of course, Soomin's heartfelt speech was only met by silence, and she closed her eyes, trying not to break down.

"I'm sorry I couldn't bring a candle or flowers. Although I still believe that you can hear me and that you're listening. I just hope... I hope I can somehow get through this even though I have absolutely no idea what to do."

"Please just...give me your strength."

"I'm back." Soomin muttered, smiling softly as she crouched down.

Her finger delicately traced the golden letters, skimming over the ram of the picture before retracting her hand back to her side.

"Mom... I wish I could've come here with good news. But there aren't any." The girl giggled bitterly.

"I'm still getting married to him. Sunwoo. Dad and that bastard's parents didn't even take that long to re-arrange the wedding completely, and it's going to happen in around a month. But mom, I don't love him. Please, I hate him, I don't want to get married to him."

At this point, tears were rolling down Soomin's cheeks, ruining her perfectly done mascara, but she didn't care at all.

"I just wish you were still here. I know that you spent your last couple of months in pain, but I wish you'd just hug me one more time. I wish you'd assure me that everything will be alright, I wish that you'd shield me from everything that's happening to me. You were my super hero after all. You saved me each time I was in trouble." Soomin wiped her tears, smile returning as she reminisced on old memories.

"And I found out everything. I found out about Aera now. I'm sure you were so shocked, so relieved that you saw her alive moments before your last breaths... and I'm sure you two have reconciled in the after life. I want you both to be happy, I truly do mom."

"But please...like I asked Aera. Please, send me your strength. I need it now more than ever. Please, help me figure out what the hell I should do." Soomin began sobbing, having to place her hands on the ground to stay stable. 

But as she did so, something in the corner of her eye caught her attention.

The girl wiped her eyes, sniffling as she leaned towards the unfamiliar object.

It was a white envelope, almost in perfect condition, except the wrinkly edge that had been held down by a stone at the bottom of the tree bark.

Without hesitation or a feeling of consequence, Soomin picked the envelope up. She spun it around, at the bottom finding a message written in bold letters.

To Soomin.

The girl's breath hitched as she stared the envelope down in confusion. After a few seconds of processing, she gently began ripping it open, taking out the short card inside. It was created with cuts and bits of newspapers, creating sentences, just like in the movies.

Before anything, are you okay?
really hope that everything is alright with you.
i and the rest are safe. Don't worry about us.
dinner time is approaching. We're
gonna be having McDonalds. And you?
eating is important for your health.

(Apparently the 23rd will be a beautiful day, but you should go for a walk the next to avoid crowds)

I hope the food doesn't cost me over 80,000 won.

Probably will be finishing up now,
Maybe speak to you later?

Truthfully Young

:o