Chapter 108

Lexi Hooper's birthday was soon upon them over summer break. Molly had made a cake — along with an extra one, just in case — and everyone had gathered down in the kitchen to celebrate it.

     Turns out, it was a great decision to have made two cakes, because Fred and George had decided to pull up a prank on the poor girl and explode the cake in her face the moment she blew out the candles.

     As always, Crookshanks was sitting on Sirius's lap, watching everyone with amusement through her yellow eyes. Although her attention was caught when Lexi left the room to wash up her face, and Fred followed her right behind.

     "Sorry," Sirius whispered to Jenna quietly, so only she could hear him, and then picked the ginger cat up from his lap and gently placed her on the floor.

    Without any further explanation, Sirius walked out of the kitchen after the two young Gryffindors while Molly was cutting up the second cake and handing it over to the others.

    Sirius followed the two upstairs after a minute or two, his mind racing. He could remember what he had learnt about Lexi's mother, who shared the same name with his childhood friend, Lisa Goldman. Sirius could remember how much his younger brother loved their charming neighbor back then.

     Could Regulus have been the Lexi Hooper's real father? Could he have gotten Lisa pregnant, before he had died? But then again, the timing wouldn't have made any sense.

    Maybe it was all just a coincidence. But there was one way they could find out.

    Once Sirius reached the corridor up the stairs, he heard noises and so he turned right. Although he took aback when he found Lexi and Fred there, kissing.

So he quickly cleared his throat, causing them to jump apart and getting their attention.

"Having fun, are we?" Sirius raised a brow at them with a grin, looking between them rather disapprovingly.

Neither of the two answered as they stood there awkwardly.

"Can I talk to you, Lexi? Alone?" Sirius added, turning to face the girl.

"We were actually in the middle of – er – an important conversation," said Fred, trying to keep a straight face.

"Oh, yes. I noticed. And thank Merlin I interrupted, or the conversation would have gone further," Sirius said sharply, catching them off guard, seeing as it had no tone of kidding in it.

"Oh, please," Lexi scoffed, "as if you've never had conversations when you were younger."

At that, Sirius grinned again. "Yes, well. I'm not very proud. I was definitely the guy that I would never want my daughter to date — if I ever had one, that is."

By that his face became stern again as he turned toward Fred once more and said more firmly, "I'll be keeping an eye on you."

"Why would you care about us, anyway?" Fred asked, grinning. "What part are you trying to play? Are you the big brother here or something?"

"I'm... something," Sirius said after a short pause and frowned, turning on toward Lexi again, "Can we talk?"

Sending a knowing look at Fred, Lexi nodded and so she followed Sirius out of the corridor, walking through the dim hallway.

     "Yes?" Lexi asked eagerly when they had stopped. There was a curious look in her familiar eyes, as if she were expecting an important explanation from him.

    Although she was caught off gaurd when Sirius dug into his coat's pocket and took out a small wrapped up box.

"Happy birthday, Lexi," he said with a warm smile, handing it to her.

     Lexi looked up at him in disbelief and then smiled back happily, opening the box quickly. As soon as she did so, her jaw dropped at what she saw inside.

     It was a beautiful black necklace that looked oddly familiar to her, with one single grey and crystal-looking stone as its jewel.

It was the same necklace which Lisa Goldman had given to both Sirius and Regulus when they were kids, one for each of them. If Regulus had truly been Lexi's father, she would've probably recognized that necklace, if he had kept it.

     "Thank you, Sirius," Lexi finally said cheerfully, her smile broadening.

     She then looked up at him again, only to see him frowning in confusion; as if that wasn't the reaction he was expecting or hoping for. Sirius frowned, seeing that she hadn't recognized it after all.

     "Do you want me to put it on for you?" he asked, forcing a brighter expression on his face.

     "Sure! Thanks!" Lexi chuckled, giving him the necklace and letting him put it around her neck.

     "It was a gift from an old friend," Sirius went on and explained, trying to see if it could ring a bell to her.

     "Really? It was yours?" Lexi asked interestedly, turning to face him as she kept her gaze down at the beautiful necklace.

     "Yeah." He nodded. "It meant a lot to me, once. So make sure to take good care of it for me, will you?"

     But instead of answering, Lexi suddenly sprang forward and hugged him, catching Sirius off guard as she was overwhelmed by emotions.

     "Thank you," she muttered with a smile.

     Sirius hesitated at first, but then a small smile crept through his face as he wrapped his arms around Lexi and hugged her back. She reminded him of Lisa too much, and he missed his childhood friend dearly.

     "You're welcome, Kiddo," Sirius whispered.