CHAPTER 18

On reaching the back garden Rosaline saw her daughter hide something in her pocket. She was standing on top of an unconscious Adam Norton.

Startled, Rosaline called out to her in a panicked voice.

"Angelica!"

Angelica took a step back from Adam and looked up towards her mother. She was standing in front of the knocked-out lion statue which used to mark the entrance near the pond.

Rosaline ran towards her daughter and kneeled down in front of her. She started checking her for any injuries.

"Are you ok? Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Oh my goodness Adam!" A worried voice overlapped Rosaline's as a figure ran past her.

Countess Caroline Norton's blood ran cold at the sight of her unconscious son.

No matter how she called out to Adam, he was not moving.

Caroline rolled him over and held his head. She tried tapping his face as she anxiously called out to him.

"Adam! Wake up!" Caroline bagan panicking since there was no response, "Why isn't he waking up?"

"Don't worry mam. He's not dead......" Angelica dragged awkwardly

"hmm" Adam squirmed.

"......yet"

Adam blinked a few times as he slowly gained consciousness. He looked around in a blank state since he could not understand what was going on. As his vision grew clearer he could see his worried mother looking down on him with tears.

"Mother......?" Adam mumbled.

Adam's head hurt like someone had hit him in the back. He sat up while holding his head, trying to gain steadiness. The last thing he could remember was a sharp set of fangs flying towards him.

"AHHHHH" Adam screamed as he tried to get on his feet.

He stammered a while before getting a grip on someone's shoulder.

"Hello there. Back from the underworld eh?" asked a cute cheery voice.

On recognizing the voice Adam looked down to see Angelica smiling coldly at him.

"AHHH"

Startled, Adam fell backwards and landed on his butt. He started hyperventilating as he pointed onwards Angelica.

"de......de.........DEMON" Adam shouted at her.

Everybody froze as if time had stopped.

"That's the best you can come up with?" Angelica said in an annoyed voice.

'Oh shit'

She quickly changed it to a heartbroken voice noticing the eyes on her.

"I mean *Ahem* It breaks my heart to hear you call me that"

"Brother?" Adelaide called out in a teary voice. She hugged him and tried to console him.

'Awwww........So she's a bro-con. That's why she was pissed at me. She thought I was going to steal her brother away from her. So cute" Angelica smiled looking at the siblings' heartwarming scene with a flowery filter.

Soon the interrogation session started.

"What happened here?" Viscountess Maze Hathway asked as she turned towards the kids.

"Clive?" Rosaline called out to her son.

"Umm....." Clive started as he turned towards his mother. Only to lock eyes with his sister.

She was looking at him with a face that said "tattle on me and you're dead"

"I'm not sure myself" he said, as he scratched his cheek trying to evade the question.

"Tristan. Elliot. Speak. Now" commanded Baroness Vanessa Howard.

The twins looked at each other and looked behind their mother.

*cough* *cough*

It was Angelica. She was smiling at them with menacing eyes.

Following a slight nod from her, the twins looked at each other again and then turned towards their mother. The short exchange the three had was an unspoken pact of silence.

"We're not sure either" shrugged Tristan

"It baffles us" commented Elliot

'It's no use asking them. They're as thick as thieves' Thought Baroness Howard as she heaved a sigh.

Adelaide's was a no-go. Since she was crying her eyes out, concerned over her brother. So the only one left to answer their questions was Bryan Hathway.

Everyone turned their attention towards Bryan, who was hugging his mother's waist in a desperate act of panic.