Chapter 3 - Identity crisis

Seven had spent the day trying to figure out what to do and so far she had come up with nothing. She knew her name and her age but not much else. Currently, she was pacing up and down the alleyway trying to unjumble everything in her mind.

okay, so my name is seven. Seven what? I don't have a last name. I don't have a last name and I am named after a number. Great. I'm sure I'm 14 and I know my birthday too but that's it. That's it? That sucks. 

Saying she was frustrated was an understatement. At least she knew how to fight and use weapons, and she had her powers and she was book smart too. She could survive on the streets for sure but how would she help the girls at the facility? All the children? 

There were boys there too but they were kept completely separate. They had all learned combat and weapons but the girls learned to dance while the boys played football or something, she didn't know what they did. 

Worst of all she didn't have any way to help them. She didn't have any idea who her parents were or if they were even alive and there was a slim chance they would want anything to do with her if they were. The only thing she did know was the symbol of the people that kept and experimented on them, a red octopus thing. That could be useful. 

Seven sighed deeply, as much as she wanted to get help she had no one. Plus they would probably be out looking for her considering she was on the run in the streets of New York and she knew how valuable her powers were to them. 

Her powers! of course, she could work on them and get stronger and then hopefully take them down by herself. She could do it, probably. 

Seven decided that there was nothing that could be done in the present in her current state, so she decided to work on her own powers instead, it would be a good distraction. 

Considering all she had were the clothes she was wearing, it made it pretty easy to walk around New York as there was no extra weight. She had discovered that she was in Queens, thanks to many diners and signs that she passed while she was wandering around. This information of course meant nothing to her but it was nice to know. 

As Seven was walking past apartment buildings she heard a shout from one of the alleyways, distracting her from her gloomy thoughts, and she began to run to where the noise was coming from. 

From where she was peering around the corner she could see a man holding a knife to a woman's throat, threatening her and demanding any money she had. The woman was in hysterics, crying and Seven's heart ached. She had to help somehow. 

Sure she could just try and snap his neck as she did to the guy in the lab, but she didn't know how to control that part of her yet and didn't want to kill the woman by accident. Plus did he deserve to die? Seven was many things but a killer wasn't one of them, she didn't want to become who she hated most. 

Slowly she crept out from her position in the shadows, after completely covering her hair and face. Her dark auburn hair would be a dead giveaway if people spotted her again and she didn't want to be recognized by anyone that may be out looking for her. 

The woman noticed her almost instantly but Seven put her finger against her lips to signal her to be quiet and the woman caught on, pretending to not see the teenager creeping close to them. 

Seven focused, she wanted to make him be in enough pain to drop the knife so she could knock him out, but definitely not so he died. She began to think about causing him harm and as she did, the man flinched and whipped his head around, looking for someone to blame for the sudden rush of pain. Knowing now that she was on the right target Seven began to increase the pain and just as she had expected, he dropped the knife, clamping his hands up to his ears.