32

Dozens, even hundreds of students, all stood in a large arena. The exam was soon to begin. Class 1-A waited nervously for instructions. Iris kept close to Katsuki for now, as per his request. As some people walked by, UA got stares coming from different schools, which made Iris uneasy. "Katsuki, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

"Depends what you're thinking of."

"They're treating us like prey."

"Huh?"

"The other students. I can see it. Their priority is to take down Class 1-A."

"I know something is up, but I didn't think of that. How do you know exactly?"

"Because it's what I would do. Everyone watched the sports festival. They know most of your abilities, why not take the chance? They think we're easy targets."

"But we're not in the damn slightest."

"Exactly. That's what they don't know. Which is why I am going to sprint out as soon as it starts. I'm sorry, but this isn't a field trip, and my moves might just get in other people's way."

"Mhm, I was planning to do the same."

"Katsuki, promise me you'll be okay through the first phase."

"What, you underestimating me? Of course I will."

"I know you will, but please make sure to look for me at the end, okay?"

"Mh."

A sleepy voice started to speak, coming from the front of the room. "Uh, ok, let's start this provisional license thing.."

Holy shit, he's down worse than Mr Aizawa.

"I'm Mera from the Heroes Public Safety Commission. The kind of sleep I like is non-REM sleep...Nice to meet you." The man's head drooped down on his mic. He clearly had a hard time staying awake, which made Iris a bit concerned, but she wasn't aloud to judge. "With that conviction, I will give you the orientation. About the content of the provisional license thing...Frankly, all 1540 examinees will have to win through a free-for-all exercise. Our society is said to be saturated with heroes, and ever since Stain was arrested, many have shown doubts about the current state of heroes. Well, as a private citizen, no matter what the motivation, to tell someone risking their lives to save others is...It's the ruthless story in these modern times...But anyways, wether it's for compensation or for loyalty and courage...the result of many heroes working together to help people and defeat villains...is so short that it will make you sick. You all are about to receive your licenses, and finally throw yourselves into the rapids. Those who can't keep up will have it tough. Accordingly, what you'll be tested on, is speed!"

This while pep talk put pressure on every single person in that room and put down even the cockiest of individuals. Instead of fixing this type of problem from the beginning, they just dropped it on this years new applicants. On the large screen before them was written "Number of people to pass the 1st test: 100". Chatter spread across the room.

"Only 100 people? Out of 1540 taking the exam? That's insane!"

"This means, that only 1% will pass!"

Holy shit, this is big news. It's a good thing that I'm fast then, if we're getting tested on speed. My classmates will be fine too~

Mr. Mera went on explaining how the 1st exam would work. Every applicant would have 3 circle pads and balls. You had to 'tag' all three of a person's circles to get them out. You would need to defeat two people to pass this section.

Only two? That's no fun~ Or...they didn't say there was a maximum~

"We'll open 1 minute after everyone had gotten their targets and balls"