zone 27: eavesdrop

a/n: im on spring break so i decided to give yall another chapter! happy spring everyone in the northern hemisphere! enjoy ❤️

Hana's POV

After Jinyoung finished his speech, everyone dispersed and started getting food and dancing to music. Looking around at the folks smiling, dancing, eating, and singing made me realize how much I missed having fun. I forgot how to let go and destress. It felt very foreign to me so I decided to disconnect myself from the group.

I silently sit in front of the campfire as the music plays from afar. I was in deep thought, thinking to myself in this warm atmosphere with laughter and singing surrounding me.

"Hey, why aren't you over there?" I hear a voice and look over to see Jae.

I missed him. He is holding a cup of something which I assume is alcohol based on the smell of his breath.

"I don't know, not feeling the party right now," I shrug and readjust myself to give Jae room to sit on the bench. Jae shakes his head.

"Y'know, I really missed you," Jae confesses, making me smile. I nod and look at him.

"I missed you too," I say. "Congrats on finding a vaccine by the way." Jae shrugs humbly and then looks up at the stars.

"If only it was easy to mass-produce," Jae says. "Enough talk about zombies and your half-blood, miss immune, how are you?" I like how Jae makes it easy to talk to him. Even though he is super intelligent, he still knows how to have a good time.

"I'm over here by myself at a party. What does that tell you?" I hint, showing how discomforted I feel even though I have no reason to be.

"C'mon, loosen up! You're alive in this world," Jae motivates me. "That should be enough to push you to live like it's your last night," I smirk at Jae as he stands and ruffles my hair. "Let's go, miss immune, they're about to play Bang Bang Bang by Big Bang, I know you wouldn't want to miss out on that." I scoff and slowly stand, making Jae clap his hands and cheer.

"You guys aren't worried about the zombies outside these walls or something?" I question.

"Hey, I told you to loosen up and besides that's what our watchdogs are for," Jae says. I glance over at the cage full of zombies. I guess they use them to distract the zombies from the humans inside the walls and to also keep unwanted humans out.

Jae leads me to the group of people who are dancing and eating. I hear the music get louder the closer I approach and notice Sana dancing with Hyunho on the field. I giggle as I watch them and bump into someone because I wasn't paying attention. I look up to see Jaehyun.

"Jaehyun," I say and step back. Jaehyun smiles, making me feel more comfortable already.

"Hana, I didn't know Hyunho got moves," Jaehyun jokes, looking back at Hyunho and Sana. I giggle and then nod.

"He has some dancing blood in him," I add onto the joke, and Jaehyun eyes me, making me curious as to what he is thinking.

"So you're saying, you got some dance in you?" Jaehyun questions. I feel my face turn red as I look up at him. I'm not a dancer, I am sure of it.

"No, I-" I stutter and Jaehyun starts subtly grabbing my hand to lead me into the crowd. I try to pull back and pout as he smiles at me.

"C'mon, Hana, when's the last time you had fun?" Jaehyun asks. I sigh and comply, following him out.

Time to loosen up as Jae said, I have to stop stressing about everything for once. Jaehyun twirls me making me laugh as we dance to the music. I stare at his sweet eyes and feel a sense of comfort. The longer I gaze, the more I start to think of Hyunjin. I blink away my thoughts and look down at the ground as I continue swaying.