chap. 12

The bard pouted as Childe and (y/n) were about to leave the gates of the city of freedom.

They spent the last day together, Barbatos showing them all the pretty places in Mondstadt. (y/n) has seen them countless times already, but Childe was new to all of this.

It was hard for the Fatui Harbinger to believe that their stay in Mondstadt was already over. He slightly clenched his fists and stared back at the bard who was smiling.

"Feel free to visit me anytime!", he exclaimed and pulled (y/n) into a warm hug, which she slowly returned.

"Please visit me soon", he mumbled into the girls ear, making her grin. "Don't worry", she laughed and pulled away.

The bard waved goodbye until the duo left his sight. A huff escaped his lips and he dozed off for a moment, already missing his old friend.

'Maybe I should attend the Lantern Rite Festival..'

"I don't want to go back to work..", Childe quietly complained as they passed the Dawn Winery. He stared at the mansion and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

It was not like he hated his job, it just felt good to relax for a few days.

His travel companion silently listened to him, closely watching his frustrated expression. He didn't look like a person who complained a lot.

"Will I see you again after this?", the Gingerhead asked bluntly, avoiding eye-contact. (y/n) shrugged her shoulders, not knowing what to say.

"I will stay in Liyue Harbor with Zhongli for the rest of the Lantern Rite Festival. And after that.. I suppose I will just go back home".

The female had to admit that the last few days were a nice change to her plain life on Mt. Nagoya. Childe hummed and gazed at the sky.

They left Mondstadt in the early morning, since Liyue Harbor was far away.

"And Childe", (y/n) started, causing the male to slightly tilt his head, waiting for her to continue. "If you need a break.. please do so"

As soon as the Wangshu Inn came in sight, the two of them let out a relieved sigh.

Countless Hilichurls were hiding behind rocks and bushes and attacked the duo on their way. At first it wasn't too much of a bother since Childe killed them with ease.

But as time passed, even the Fatui Harbinger got exhausted, though he didn't want to admit it. A drop of sweat rolled down his face, as he breathed heavily. (y/n) looked at him with a hint of pity.

She tried her best to help him without using her abilities, while avoiding to get injured. It wasn't much, but Childe appreciated the gesture.

They decided to take a break at the Inn and ordered food. While quietly sitting on a chair, (y/n) peeked at Childe who was carefully reading the Menu.

She felt bad that she had spent his money all the time, however he seemed to be quite rich for a man his age.

"Well, what do you want to order?", he suddenly asked the girl while crossing his legs under the table. She smiled warmly, making the males heart flutter a little.

"Jade Parcels"

"Oh, that's what I wanted to order as well", Childe let out a chuckle and rested his chin on his palm, his elbow leaning on the top of the table.

A waitress hurried to them after a few minutes, waiting for them to order. While (y/n) talked to her, Childe couldn't get his eyes off his friend.

Her soft skin, her smooth hair and her lively eyes, it all fascinated him.

When they first met in Liyue Harbor, her beauty captivated him. Childe was more than just happy, when she agreed on traveling together. A warm feeling spread through his heart at the thought of the memory.

He wanted to know her better, but knew that it was almost impossible because of his work. Plus, (y/n) didn't seem like the type to open up so easily.

He came back to reality when she locked eyes with him. To him, she was flawless. He wasn't even embarrassed about it anymore. Any guy would think that after all.

Suddenly a questioning look appeared on the girls face. "Don't you want to eat? The food's getting cold", she said while starting to eat her ordered food.

The Gingerhead blinked a few times, before slowly nodding. Childe didn't even notice that the food had already arrived until (y/n) reminded him. He grabbed his chopsticks and tried his best to imitate the female.

She noticed him struggle with the chopstick after a few seconds and let out a small laugh, causing the Fatui to slightly furrowed his brows.

"You have to hold them like this", she instructed with a gentle smile as she guided his hand. "But if it's too difficult, you can just.. stick your chapsticks through your food and use it like a fork. Sort of"

(i'm really sorry, i didn't know that it was considered a bad thing in the asian culture. i myself am asian and always do that when my food is too slippery T_T again, my apologies)

Childe huffed and scrunched his face as he sighed. It felt like she could do everything better than him. Except fighting of course.

Normally he loved picking fights and battling strong creatures. The feeling of being stronger than his opponents made him feel happy and powerful.

But when he was with the girl, he felt comforted and relaxed. He knew that she would always listen to his problems and stories without judging or pitying him.

He shook his head, realizing how strange he sounded saying those things.

But it was true. If he could, he would just take the girl everywhere with him. To Snezhnaya, Mondstadt, Liyue, heck, even to his family.

She reminded him of.. home.