Forty three

"What the hell is that?" Lexie eyed Anatomy Jane in Erin's hand.

"What?" Erin smiled at her sister.

"What's that?" she asked.

"Anatomy Jane. Mom got them for me and Mer when dad left, probably to get us to leave her alone. She's cool," Erin said, tucking the doll into her pocket. "Very cool," she said.

"Sounds it," Lexie smiled awkwardly.

"Don't think I'm weird, Lex," Erin laughed, wrapping her arm around Lexie's shoulders.

"Oh, I already did," Lexie laughed, leaning into Erin's side.

"Erin!" Bailey called. Erin looked up from the ground as she walked towards the mandatory skills lab.

"Yeah," Erin said.

"You got your doll?" she said.

"Anatomy Jane? She's in my locker, why?" Erin asked.

"Because you're gonna get her and you're gonna join me and your sister in trying to operate on this inoperable tumour. You figure things out well and you're good with kids. I need you to help explain this surgery to the kid," Bailey said.

"I'll be right there," Erin smiled.

"Tori Begler, age ten. Tori has an abdominal leiomyosarcoma. The tumor is wrapped around her celiac artery, her splenic artery and her left gastric artery. It is considered unresectable," Meredith presented to the little girl and what looked to be her entire family. The chief, Erin, Bailey and another doctor stood behind Meredith.

"Did you understand a word of that, Tori?" Bailey smiled kindly.

"Not really," Tori admitted.

"Erin," Bailey said. Erin smiled and pulled Anatomy Jane out of her pocket.

"This is Anatomy Jane," Erin said, sitting on the end of Tori's bed and holding her out.

"She's kinda funny looking," Tori smiled slightly. Erin chuckled.

"She is funny looking, but she's very helpful for us to explain to you what's going on. So, the tumour," Erin pulled the stomach off Anatomy Jane, removing the stomach organ, "Is way down here in your belly. It's hard to get at because it's underneath all of these organs," Erin said, letting Tori take out the organs so she could see.

"Hard, but not impossible, right?" Tori's grandmother asked.

"We're gonna try everything we can," Bailey assured her.

"Everything you can should include your cardiothoracic girl. Stewart at Seattle Pres said the vasculature is the big problem, and you stole the best cardiovascular surgeon he's ever had. If she's not on Tori's team, we're leaving and going to San Francisco," the grandmother said. They stared at her with wide eyes. She held up a tub. "Fudge? It's homemade," she smiled kindly.

"Grandma," Tori chuckled weakly. Erin smiled slightly at the little girl.

"Three other hospitals have already sent them away, and if we were smart, we would do the same thing," Erica Hahn said. Erin looked at Anatomy Jane, removing a few of the organs slowly.

"What is the matter with you?" Bailey scoffed.

"We can try and cut around the stomach," Richard said.

"No, the only way to do that is to actually take it out," Erica said.

"They've done ex vivo autotransplants," Bailey said.