34

Chapter 34: Do You Love Her, Answer Me
As a first wife’s daughter who got whatever she wanted, who had grown up served by others, Ji Liuran never considered others’ feelings. She was always selfish, but now there was suddenly a person that made her want to do anything to protect them. This was a new, strange feeling, but it made her feel delighted to comply.

She grabbed tight to the hem of her robes and lifted her head. In this split second, her eyes were bright enough to rival the sun and moon. “Daddy, do you still remember that time I slipped out of the city half a month ago? I was chased down by the Zheng family and almost died. It was the ancient witch who saved me. She killed the Zheng family’s assassins and rescued me from the tiger’s mouth. But I didn’t even know who she was or what she looked like.

I couldn’t find her and she didn’t need me to repay her kindness, so I had no way to speak of this with you.

I know that no matter how compassionate she is, as long as she holds the name of ancient witch, you will not let her go. So, I gave the name of benefactor to the person I like. For one, I wanted to have you accept her, and two, I wanted to let the ancient witch shed her guilt.”

She had been seriously injured, her organs twisted to pieces. Though Ji Liuran had been treated by her father, her body was still weak and powerless.

She already could not quite stand, but the heart that wanted to cover for Ning Guang would not change even if the sky collapsed and the earth split.

“Daddy, was I wrong? She is my benefactor. Should I toss this gratitude to the back of my mind just because of her identity and become a despicable ingrate? If so, then I would rather die on the spot!”

Ji Liuran’s headstrong will was something Ji Xian had nurtured with his own hands, he knew well how determined his own daughter was.

That time he had tried to forcibly marry her, she had taken poison. If the Ji family had not luckily obtained a reincarnation pill in the past, his daughter would have perished like dispersed smoke and fallen jade.

Ji Xian didn’t know what to do. His face went through many expressions, but in the end he couldn’t speak.

But for now, no matter what was happening with them, Di Jiufeng and Ning Guang knew none of it.

With Ning Guang’s first step into the Zhuanlun pillar, she was lost in a field of darkness. Though her longing acted as her guide, that endless desolate abyss made Ning Guang’s heart feel like it was missing a piece. She didn’t dare think what she would do if she couldn’t find Shifu. Would she go crazy, or maybe before she could, her will to live would melt into froth and shadows with Shifu’s disappearance.

“A-Feng, I will find you. In the heavens or on the earth, through all the mountains and rivers, no matter where you are, I will definitely find you. Even in death, I will die together with you.”

Ning Guang didn’t dare think of anything else. Determined, she chased the direction of that longing.

But Di Jiufeng, when she heard her disciple’s voice the instant she entered Shen City, sank into terror along with it. “Ning Guang…” In the vortex, she reached out her hand, but across ten thousand fathoms, couldn’t even touch her shadow. Her hand grasped empty air, and her heart left her chest along with it.

“Ning Guang––––!”

Di Jiufeng landed on solid ground and stumbled a couple of times. Before she got to her feet, she turned to look back. But, in this place, where could she find any trace of her disciple? There was only endless mist covered water and jade grasses, many-colored flowers dotting the ground like stars.

This was a place with beautiful scenery, jade-green vegetation dripping with moisture, flourishing blossoms like brocade fabric, grey rabbits hopping in the tall grass, white cranes sauntering past on long legs.

But no matter how much of a paradise this place was, Di Jiufeng didn’t have the heart to enjoy it.

She still remembered that last scene before her eyes. After seeing Ning Guang’s face, dark and despairing like the entire world had left her, she could no longer see hope, only left with a chest full of helplessness and distress.