49

Chapter 49: Choice
Di Jiufeng fainted, and the next time she awoke, she was in the cabin of a ship. Ning Guang sat by her side, her gaze piercing through the candlelight to fall on the swaying curtains.

Ning Guang was thinking about something, both wandering hesitation and deep self-recrimination in her gaze. Her fists were clenched, nails embedded deep into her palms, using so much force that her arms were visibly trembling.

There was something off about Ning Guang, she had not even noticed that Di Jiufeng was awake.

Seeing her disciple in this state, Di Jiufeng slowly covered her hand with her own. “Ning Guang, what’s up with you?” She pried open her clenched fists, lightly stroking the marks on her palms with the pads of her own fingers.

Ning Guang finally came back to her senses. Rattled, she turned and helped her up. “A-Feng, you’re awake, do you feel any discomfort?” Ning Guang asked considerately, gaze locked securely on Di Jiufeng’s face.

She avoided Di Jiufeng’s gaze, eyes roving back and forth over her nose and chin.

Di Jiufeng looked at her, then said slowly, “I am alright, just a bit tired, perhaps my earlier wounds had not completely healed. You do not need to worry, I am alright.” She paused, then placed a hand on Ning Guang’s jaw. She pulled, forcing Ning Guang to look up at her.

“What are you hiding from me? Ning Guang, did something happen?”

They had lived together for so long. Even if she didn’t say anything, Di Jiufeng could see that something was wrong with Ning Guang. She had never been so evasive before. She always pressed onward as if nothing was before her, nothing could make her retreat, and nothing could make her afraid. Seeing her in this state really was too unusual.

Di Jiufeng could see that something was wrong, but Ning Guang refused to admit it.

She closed her eyes, and when she opened them again, all of the evasiveness had melted away.

“A-Feng, I am not hiding anything from you, I was just worried because I saw you were unwell.” She had a gentle smile on her lips, just as adoring as usual. Nothing seemed to be wrong, but Di Jiufeng still felt that she had changed. She couldn’t say what exactly it was, she only felt that she was a few parts too frantic.

“Ning Guang, don’t hide things from me…”

“I am not hiding anything from you, I have nothing to hide from you.” Her reaction couldn’t be any more normal, Di Jiufeng couldn’t find anything strange. But the more normal Ning Guang seemed, the more anxious Di Jiufeng became. The anxiety felt like a physical thing, crashing against her temples.

She felt a bit nauseous. The complexion which had only just improved gradually grew pale.

“Ning Guang, I am a bit seasick, help me outside for a walk. I want to feel the breeze.” Her chest was very stuffy, leaving her no energy to pick at Ning Guang’s oddities. She reached out to take Ning Guang’s arm, putting half her weight on the other.