50

Chapter 50: Water Ghouls Clear the Way
Di Jiufeng liked Ning Guang because no one in this world treated her better than Ning Guang did. It was a quite pragmatic reason, but it was the truth. Ning Guang was too good. Even knowing this was a poison that would eat away at her bones, she was wholeheartedly willing to swallow it down.

After deciding to stay with Ning Guang, she had put separation out of her mind. Even the misty future became clear because of Ning Guang’s arrival. Every minute, every second of her future would contain Ning Guang’s figure. She thought this would be her forever.

She never thought her forever would be so easily shattered.

Her suddenly imminent demise scattered and smashed all of her expectations like flowers in a mirror, the moon on the water.

The cold night wind swept away the last wisp of warmth in her body. Di Jiufeng trembled, a wisp of resentment rising to mix with the reluctance in her heart. Why did everything have to fall through just when she thought her dreams could become reality? She wouldn’t take it! But mixed with that refusal was a wisp of fear.

––If she would definitely die, then what about Ning Guang? She had never doubted Ning Guang’s heart. She knew that if she abandoned Ning Guang, she would definitely go insane. She would walk the road to world destruction, she would be struck down by the Heavenly Way. She would burn to ash, never again get the chance to reincarnate.

After so long, Di Jiufeng would never again consider Ning Guang to be a mere character in a novel, a wooden puppet.

She had already become a real person, the person who occupied her heart, the most important person.

Di Jiufeng could not help but worry about Ning Guang. This worry crushed everything else. She no longer cared about the mission, no longer cared about the Bone-Casting Branch, she no longer even cared about the death creeping towards her by the minute.

Di Jiufeng grabbed Ning Guang’s shoulders. Her fingers were trembling, but she forced a jesting look onto her face.

“Ning Guang, have you ever thought about it? You are the reincarnation of the ancient witch, perhaps you simply cannot die.”

Ning Guang shook her head and said serenely, “Even the ancient witch can die, and I am only her reincarnation. If I do not want to live, who can stop me? A-Feng, what are you saying, do you want to stop me? Stop thinking about it. If there is no you in this world, I would have no reason to live.”

Ning Guang was very obstinate, and Di Jiufeng had no way to explain.

How could she tell Ning Guang that she would have the protection of the Heavenly Way her whole life, and unless she completed the main plotline of world destruction, she could live on forever? She would share her lifespan with the heavens and the earth. As long as the heavens survived, she would live on.

Di Jiufeng was silent for a while, but still could not figure out how to explain. She could only force a smile and say, “Ning Guang, I was just asking, no need to worry. And, I will not really die. You heard what old man Zhang said, the descendant of the king of medicine lives on Gui Hun island. If we can find him, perhaps I can live on.