51

Chapter 51: Familiar
Even tied up over a bonfire, cursed and battered by the crowd, the expression on the young woman’s face did not change a bit. She was warm and kind all the way through, like she would not be afraid even if the sky fell.

Until in this moment, the villagers brought up that accomplice, and the green-clothed woman’s face suddenly grew pale.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about! You can say I have the heart of a wolf and the lungs of a dog, you can say I’m an evil fiend, I’ll admit it all, but I truly do not have an accomplice! You can burn me to death, but I still insist that everything I did was to save your lives! I never wanted to destroy this village, I never wanted to harm you!”

The green-clothed woman finished, then slowly closed her eyes. Her brows twitched, like she was determined to burn her bridges behind her.

Seeing her refuse to cooperate, the villagers exploded in anger. The staffs in their hands thundered on the ground, torches waving back and forth in front of that woman’s face.

“Witch! You still refuse to confess! Do you think we don’t know?! You would go to the cave to the north every night and stay there until dawn. At first, we were not suspicious, we just thought you went there to study medicine, but one day, Auntie Wang’s grandson followed you out of curiosity! Then, we found out that you were not going there every night to study medicine to save people, but to meet with a lover.

We don’t want to mind who you fool around with, but we never thought that you would wallow in the filth with an evil spirit! A plague descended on our village, all because you had no restraint!

Witch, don’t think you can hide it any longer! Chen-ge has already taken people there!

Today, we are going to catch you red-handed! You and your lover will never be able to do evil again!”

They spoke with righteous indignation, and some furious villagers even dumped a basin full of black dog’s blood onto her body.

Thick and pungent blood dripped hotly down her cheeks, mixing with the warm tears she could no longer hold back, making her seem even more wretched, even more pitiful.

The green-clothed woman shook her head as hard as she could, finally unable to hold back her sobs. “No, no, she is not an evil spirit, she is a good person! Without her, our village could not have survived until now!”

“Shut your mouth! You still want to quarrel?! You traitorous thing, we saw it with your own eyes! Half of that monster’s body has turned to bone! Do you think you can hide it any longer?!”

The villagers were already at the extent of their rage, they would no longer listen to any explanation.

Furious roars echoed through the air, shattering the green-clothed woman’s pitiful pleas.

After watching until now, Di Jiufeng had figured out a few things, and pity rose in her heart as she watched that green-clothed woman. Di Jiufeng wanted to save her, but she was afraid that if she acted, she and Ning Guang would get tied up, unable to return to their original world.