56

Chapter 56: Waving in the Wind
The air above the lost treasure lands was oppressive, a rot-scented wind blowing all signs of life to dust. The Buddhist cultivator grabbed Ning Guang, but in the next second, Ning Guang had thrown her back a couple of steps.

“What, trying to fight?”

Ning Guang’s eyes were cold, entirely unconcealed impatience showing through her tightly clenched fists. In these short two breaths’ time, her internal scale had already moved from ‘let her go’ to ‘capture her and have her keep Sui Ying company’.

Cold and gloomy grey mist spread undetected to the cultivator’s feet, throwing itself at her in an inescapable net.

But in the second the jaws of death were about to close, the cultivator suddenly spoke. “Please don’t be suspicious, I, I don’t mean anything by it, I just discovered some demonic energy in your body.”

[T/N: Reminder, this is different from the ‘ghostly energy’ which is Ning Guang’s normal cultivation method.]

Ning Guang paused, and the grey mist retreated like the falling tide. “There’s demonic energy in my body?” She did not refute it immediately, but slowly walked closer, furrowed her brows, and said, “You mean I’ve cultivated the demonic path?”

The Buddhist cultivator shook her head. “No, you have not cultivated the demonic path. You picked up this demonic energy from someone else. Have you had close contact with anyone recently?”

Ning Guang did not reply, but rubbed her fingertips pensively.

Then, she shook her head and said, “The human and demon races never got along, how could I have had contact with a demonic cultivator? What, is there something wrong with this demonic energy? Could you have been mistaken?”

The Buddhist cultivator also grew a bit unsure. She raised a finger and sent the ball of golden light collected on her fingertip into Ning Guang’s body. This was a spirit-cleansing spell, no kind of demonic energy could escape its sight.

The golden light orbited Ning Guang twice, then slowly returned to the Buddhist cultivator’s side.

It was very clean except for a bit of ghostly energy, no abnormalities at all. The Buddhist cultivator stared for a while, then said, a bit hesitant, “Could I really have seen wrong? But, but…”

“Alright, is there anything else?” Ning Guang interrupted her.

“No, nothing.”

Ning Guang turned and walked away, gone within a few steps.

This time, the Buddhist cultivator did not chase after her. She stood for a while, perplexed, staring at her own fingertip in doubt. “How could it be? Identifying demonic energy is the first thing we learn after joining the sect, how could I get it wrong? Maybe the lost treasure lands are causing some interference?”

Leaving the Buddhist cultivator to her confusion, as soon as she stepped outside of her line of sight, Ning Guang walked into Shen City.