57

Chapter 57
A human pushed the very edge of despair held boundless potential. Seeing the ancient demon’s attack about to hit home, Di Jiufeng was filled with a sudden burst of energy. She struggled to her feet on stiff limbs.

She staggered out of Shen City at a run. Though her spiritual energy still could not circulate properly, she gritted her teeth and drew Hong Shang.

The grand demon’s cultivation was extremely high. When its boundless reserves of demonic energy swept past her cheek, a few bloody scratches were left behind. Surrounded by this demonic energy, Di Jiufeng felt as if all the bones in her body were about to break. She was unable to open her eyes before this wind, gravel striking her face so hard it could nearly pierce through to the bone.

Di Jiufeng struggled to turn around and press her back tightly to Shen City.

She forced her arm to raise Hong Shang. Even this small movement took so much effort that her breath grew heavy enough to nearly pierce her eardrums.

She knew that she could not stop this grand demon, but what did she care? She did not have long to live. It would be best if she could help Ning Guang escape and later find a way to return and feed her a Reincarnation Pill.

Di Jiufeng was not afraid. Clenching her teeth, she raised Hong Shang over her head.

Because she was fighting against so large a force, she clenched her teeth so hard her jaw began to hurt. Her face twisted into a sinister expression, and even her arms began to tremble violently. But she did not retreat. Her eyes were closed, but tears scraped from her by the force of the wind still soaked into the hair at her temples, soaring out together with her sword.

A streak of red light tore open the demonic energy covering the entire sky. Piercing light fell from above, instantly blinding Ning Guang.

Her retinas burned, tears pouring down, blood-shot veins engulfing her eyes.

Ning Guang let out a heart-wrenching scream. “A-Feng!”

She reached forwards, but only managed to grab a wisp of red light. The spiritual energy was as warm and soft as Di Jiufeng’s hand, nimbly slipping between her fingers.

Missed by a centimeter, might as well have been a thousand miles. Ning Guang had only missed by an inch, but she could only watch as Di Jiufeng leaped into the demon’s soul.

She wilted to the ground. The power of the strike shook her consciousness loose as Di Jiufeng slipped from her body.

Ning Guang was frozen for a breath or two, or perhaps a whole incense stick’s time, her mind a blank. She was not thinking about anything, and her heart did not hurt, it was all just a bit empty, like everything had disappeared along with that wisp of red light, like her entire soul had scattered. She sprawled on the ground, her head raised woodenly, unshed tears still gleaming in her long and narrow eyes. But slowly, even that gleaming liquid disappeared.

The heavens and earth shined into Ning Guang’s eyes, but nothing showed in reflection. That pair of dark eyes looked very tranquil, but the surging currents beneath the surface showed a hint of sharp teeth.