66

Chapter 66: Touch it and Run, How Exciting
Lin Hao had grown up with his grandfather since he was young. His parents had passed away when he was born, leaving only him and his grandfather relying on each other in a broken-down little thatched hut.

His grandfather did not like to talk. Sometimes, he wouldn’t get out a word for ten days or even half a month straight. He never talked about the family with Lin Hao either, like he was intentionally trying to break off the Lin family’s history.

The days continued on like this all the way until he died.

Lin Hao’s grandfather had very high cultivation. With his powers, living another thousand years would not be difficult, but one stormy night, as the wind was blowing in gales, throwing raindrops loudly against the window, Lin Hao’s grandfather had gone to close the window. When he smelled the fishy stench in the air, he had furrowed his brows and walked outside without a word.

His expression looked ominous, like gathering clouds, and Lin Hao, peeking from inside, wished he could stop him. Unfortunately, Lin Hao had not been able to keep him from leaving. He had flown away with a tap of his foot, and the Lin Hao who chased him out the door didn’t even see his shadow as he left.

After he left, he disappeared for half a month. When he came back, his head full of black hair had turned snow-white.

All his cultivation had dispersed, even his face had changed from that of a middle-aged man to a wrinkly old man.

When Lin Hao’s grandfather returned, he was sunk into a strange silence. He always looked tense, and he would keep taking looks at his grandson.

Five or six days passed like that. He was finally about to breathe his last, but somehow, he forced himself out of bed. Using his grandson as a cane, he walked into the little ancestral hall on his last breath.

Because their house was not large, the ancestral hall they managed to separate out was even smaller, just enough for two people to walk in side-by-side, shoulder-to-shoulder, making the smoke-filled little room even more cramped. It was small, but a whole different world was hidden inside. Lin Hao would never in his life have imagined that there was a secret room under the prayer mat he kneeled on every day.

The secret room never saw the sun, but it was not a bit damp. Instead, it was very dry.

A light scent of sandalwood floated inside, faint and faraway, like it had been burning for many years, seeping into the stone walls the whole time.

After entering the secret room, Lin Hao’s grandfather threw off his grandson’s support. He stubbornly went to kneel, and even forced Lin Hao to kneel with him at the end, a pious kowtow with every step.

There was a table with an incense burner, but the deity being worshipped was not Chi You, but a dusky grey pearl.

Lin Hao’s grandfather picked up the pearl, then stretched out an arm and felt around underneath the table. Soon, he took out a family genealogical record from a corner of the table. He placed the genealogical record and the round pearl in his grandson’s hands, his old eyes blurred with grey staring intensely at Lin Hao. He had thousands of words to say, but the moment he opened his mouth, he coughed up a mouthful of black blood.