73

Chapter 73: Ning Guang’s Question.
The wood Ning Guang was holding was the legendary undying Kunlun Immortal Wood, and its rarity was unmatched.

Kunlun Immortal Wood was a treasure which could be used to make a second body. But as time progressed, the method to do so was lost. It couldn’t be used for its full purpose anymore, so it was only of value as a decoration. Though it was very precious, it was of little value to the city lord, so, for his daughter, he did not hesitate to give it to Ning Guang.

This was partially because the city lord didn’t know Ning Guang’s true identity.

If only he knew Ning Guang was the ancient witch, and as the ancient witch’s power had awakened, Ning Guang had also learned some of the witch tribe’s techniques without being taught. One of these was the method to create a second body, one of the most basic of the bunch. If he could create a second body, the city lord would never be willing to give the Kunlun Immortal Wood to her.

After all, creating a second body was similar to the body double array. And, compared to that little thing, creating a second body was a true second life. To put it simply, as long as your second body still existed, even if your original body died, your consciousness could escape. As long as you had enough Kunlun Immortal Wood, you could even, as long as your soul could take it, duplicate yourself indefinitely.

In ancient times, this was not an advanced technique for the witch tribe well-versed in soul magic.

But the witch race was long-gone, and the rare branches of the Kunlun tree were not easy to find. There was only one, which the city lord had acquired by accident in his youth.

Ning Guang knew well how precious a second body was, so she had played a little trick and asked the city lord to find a branch of Kunlun with the excuse of using it to recreate his son-in-law’s body. After all, this was a spiritual object which would not die even after being broken from the trunk, it held plenty of life energy. It was not impossible that it could be used to recreate a body.

The city lord was not suspicious, and Ning Guang was happy to save the effort. In order to prevent any complications, she had started to craft Di Jiufeng’s second body as soon as she acquired the branch of Kunlun.

[T/N: 夜长梦多, lit. “the longer the night, the more numerous the dreams”, means that the longer something takes, the more likely there are to be complications.]

When Di Jiufeng had come outside, Ning Guang was at the final step. She had not carved the face because she didn’t need to. Once she retrieved a wisp of Di Jiufeng’s soul and poured it inside, her features would automatically appear on the second body.

Newly-created second bodies were a bit fragile, but you just needed to nurture them slowly. After some time, they would be identical to the original.

At that time, not to speak of others, even the Heavenly Way wouldn’t be able to determine which was real and which was fake.

“A-Feng, do you remember what that resentful ghost of yours said? It said that you might stay. I’ve thought about it, that probably means that even if you reform me, there is still a possibility you will leave. I know it was not talking about Zhangjian Sect, it’s possible that it’s a place where I cannot follow…”