76

Chapter 76: Choice
Di Jiufeng had imagined many different ways the future could go. In most of them, she stayed with Ning Guang, or if not, she would die with her. She never doubted whether she could do it, because she had already set her baseline very low. She didn’t need a glorious and beautiful life, she only needed a life where she could see Ning Guang, and could hear her say “I’ll stay with you” before she died.

In fact, this sort of future was not easy to achieve either. But no matter what, it shouldn’t be the type of future the monk had seen.

It was too absurd. Di Jiufeng could guarantee that this sort of thing would never happen.

“Great Master, are you mistaken? I thought that no matter how bad the future could be, it wouldn’t end like this.”

The monk pulled his hand back, letting the glowing ball of memories return to his own head. “This humble monk cannot guarantee whether the future will end up like that, but whether you believe it or not, this is what I saw.”

Di Jiufeng: “Alright, but even if this is true, it hasn’t happened yet, has it? The future, the future can change, right?”

The monk did not deny it, but it was a long time before he replied, a faint trace of pity in his voice. “Though what my Heaven’s Eye sees is not the absolute truth, the few things I have seen have never gone amiss. Perhaps the future can change, but who can know if the changes you make are actually pushing fate towards its set destination?”

If this monk joined a debate competition, he would definitely be a top contestant. At least, with Di Jiufeng’s ability, she had no way to challenge his silver tongue.

She began to panic a bit, and she thought carefully about the future he had shown her.

“As you say, what should happen will always happen. Then, why show me this future? To ensure I’m prepared ahead of time? Or, does this mean you have some way to change how things will end?”

As she spoke, she looked up, the wings of hope beating heavily against her heart. They crashed back and forth, but she was afraid to let it show.

She sensed that this monk could do something, but she was also afraid it was a futile hope. She twisted her hands together, her hopes rising, then falling, unsettled like a skiff in the center of the ocean.

The February wind was very cold, and even spiritual energy couldn’t block the bone-piercing chill.

Di Jiufeng looked at the monk, but he was looking at the ground. The cold wind blew, bringing the dampness of a coming winter storm.

“Amitabha, this issue is not in fact difficult to resolve. Everything began because of love, and if you are willing to forsake your love, then every disaster can be averted. But…”

With a loud rumble, a piercing bolt of lightning finally split the sky in two. Dark clouds massed, gloomy and oppressive, washing the sky ink-black.

Di Jiufeng tightened her hands into fists, staring into the monk’s eyes.