🌻Chapter 38

🌻

The morning of the wedding came.

It was a special day for Madina. The entire population was on the edge of its seat, awaiting the birth of its new king. Gulf knew it would be a day he would never forget.

He planned to go with AA to the mosque where the marriage ceremony would be held. Normally, due to heightened security, no one other than the royal familt and some government officials would even be able to approach the building, let alone set foot inside. But AA had pulled some strings and arranged access for Gulf.

But now that the moment had come, Gulf's stomach was churning. He was having trouble staying calm. He had been awake all night thinking, running over the long list of his doubts and regrets. For instance, why hadn't he gone back to Thailand on his own? And what was he doing all alone in a place like this?

Only a few hours left.

In a few hours time, Mew would be married, and he would be king. He would move out of Gulf's reach forever. Gulf had made this decision himself, but there was still a part of him that faltered, and was miserable.

Suddenly, a call came from Yaya, interrupting his thoughts. She wanted to see them immediately, AA informed him. There was something she wanted to discuss.

AA was worried, wondering what Yaya could possibly have to say to them on the day of her wedding, but Gulf had exhausted his supplies of anxiety. Why should anyone worry about Yaya anyway? She was about to celebrate her marriage to Mew and live out the rest of her life in his arms.

"Let's go, Gulf."

AA led Gulf outside. They were going to the mosque two hours ahead of schedule.

"You go by yourself, I'll...wait here."

"Yaya asked for you to come too," AA replied, hurrying Gulf along. Apparently, he wanted Gulf to suffer even more. He probably only wanted him to confront the reality of the wedding, but Gulf had enough of hard realities. He couldn't take any more.

He resisted, though he knew he was whining like a child. "Why should I? I'm Thai---this is none of my business." He had lost all desire to attend the ceremony at the mosque.

"Get a hold of yourself," AA ordered coldly. He was Gulf's ally, but he was also a member of the royal family. He wouldn't concern himself with Gulf's delicate feelings for long. "I don't care how sorry you feel for yourself, you're going. That's what Mew wants."

The mere mention of Mew's name rendered Gulf's speechless. He couldn't believe that Mew personally wanted him to attend. The man was going to do everything he could to harass him, then.

He lost his energy to resist Mew's abuse.

"Come on, now. This is the whole reason you stayed in Madina, isn't it? To witness this day." AA clapped him on the shoulder as he chided him, and Gulf slowly lifted his lowered eyelashes.

AA was right. He had to pull himself together. Whatever else happened today, it would all finally be over. However painful it might be for him, he had to attend the wedding and see Mew for himself. He had to see the reality of Mew's new life with his own eyes. If he didn't, the suffering of these last six year would just repeat itself over again.

Gulf hurried to the mosque with AA.

TBC