Chapter 43

"Electra, how many times do I have to say I'm sorry?" Jared asked, sounding exasperated.

"And how many times have I told you I don't want to hear that you're sorry. I just want you to stop doing things you feel you have to apologize for. I get that the whole wolf thing can be overwhelming and it can just take over, especially when you've been so severely injured. It's just infuriating that the only way I can break up a fight between you two is by hurting myself. I mean neither of you listened to me. You didn't stop; you didn't acknowledge me at all. I tried to pull you back and you just shrugged me off."

Jared closed his eyes tight and pinched the bridge of his nose, but not before I saw the wolf in his eyes. I felt my body tense at the sight. It had been close ever since he'd been shot. His body was weak from the wound and his wolf was trying to take over.

I took an involuntary step back and Jared's eyes snapped open at the sound. All of his senses were on high alert with his wolf so close.

When his eyes locked on mine a gasp passed my lips. I still felt that huntress fear deep down telling me to back away, but now I also felt a strong pull toward him; stronger now, looking into those wolfish eyes, than ever before.

Jared's pupils dilated and he took a step forward. The huntress was fighting with the pull inside me and I was frozen in place. I could feel the heat from his body radiating off, licking my skin and a shiver passed down my spine.

He leaned down to close the distance and I closed my eyes.

"Please don't," I whispered, my voice hoarse.

"Why?" Jared's voice was deeper, twisted in a way that sounded on the verge of animalistic.

"Because I'm trying to be angry right now, and it will ruin everything."

"That's sort of the point."

"No. You can't use that to solve every problem, Jared. I need to be angry and you need to accept that I'm angry. You can't use whatever this is to try to fix everything because it's only a temporary fix."

Jared sighed and I felt the heat retreat. When I opened my eyes he was standing back, his eyes back to normal, and I relaxed.

The crunching of gravel broke what was left of the tension between us and we turned toward the drive. My brother's blue mustang rolled to a stop, and he, followed by Sarah and Alex, emerged from the car.

"Electra?" Alex called out having spotted me.

I made my way out of the trees and was pounced on by Alex. She threw her arms around me, hugging me tightly. A stab of excruciating pain tore through my shoulder.

"Alex, stop!" Jared shouted from behind me.

"Why? What's wrong?"

I couldn't speak or move, all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and get some painkillers, or find something else that would dull the pain. My brain couldn't process through it.

"She was shot in the shoulder." Jared grumbled and swore under his breath.

"Electra," next was Josh. "Get her back inside. It opened up."

I felt Jared's arms around me and I could feel the warm blood starting to run. He supported my weight, walking me back in and called out for Trevor.

I was sitting at the table and Trevor was patching me back up. I could hear the other four talking in the living room.

"So you're the werewolf," Sarah said.

I could only hear a murmured reply. I wasn't sure about Sarah. She sounded calm, but we were good at hiding our emotions.