- thirty four -

Aria Rowen

"Father?"

The man looked extremely similar to Draco, sharing the same facial features and platinum hair. The tension between the two was almost violent, so strong that it made me want to shrink into nonexistence.

"Draco, son, it's been too long—"

"Not long enough obviously. Why the hell are you here?" He sent his father a glare as he interrupted him, which was returned by a sinister smile.

Lucius Malfoy didn't answer, he simply turned his attention to me. "Who do we have here?"

"Get her out mum..."

"Draco calm down—"

"Now."

Narcissa gave a huff and quickly moved over to me. "Let's go to the kitchen dear..." She wrapped an arm around my shoulder and took my hand before leading me out of the entry hall.

I gave a small nod, not even turning around to look at Draco or his father.

Mrs. Malfoy brought me into one of the largest kitchens I had ever seen, with every magical appliance that existed taking up space in the wide room.

"Ok Aria, tell me about yourself. What house are you in?"

"Oh— uh— I'm a Hufflepuff..." I could tell that Narcissa was trying to take not only my mind but hers as well off of whatever may be happening in the foyer.

"Ah, see, I feel like I would've recognized you if we'd met before. I think I know most Slytherins currently attending the school... and I don't remember you being one of them."

I gave a small smile as I watched her move around, sending little flicks of her wand that tidied up the counters.

"But you still strike me as someone I've met before... who are your parents?"

My heart sank at the dreaded question, and I had to take a deep breath before answering her. "Evelyn and Henry Rowen..."

Her eyes grew wide and she immediately stopped what she was doing. "You— you're Ev's girl?" Narcissa took a few steps towards me, almost as if she couldn't believe I was actually standing near her.

"You knew my mum?" I was given a burst of excitement. I didn't know anyone who had met my mother before— other than Dumbledore of course since he was the one to tell me about my parents, blood purity, and my magical background.

"Oh— I was her best friend in our first year at Hogwarts of course... Evelyn was a Hufflepuff and I was a Slytherin. Can't say that our friendship lasted very long though. I was so sorry to hear about her passing away." Narcissa's lips turned into a frown as she clasped her hands together.

"I never really knew her— or my father for that matter," I glanced down at the ground, feeling slightly uncomfortable.

Her eyes were filled with pity that I didn't deserve. "A muggle accident, was it?"

"Mhm... the family I live with now told me that it was a car accident."

"Oh— my dear— I'm so terribly sorry... would you like some tea?"

I gave a shy nod before sitting down at one of the stools.

Narcissa had known my mother. As much as I longed to learn more about her, I didn't want to pressure Draco's mother to tell me about her. I had two weeks to talk to Mrs. Malfoy, and maybe in that time frame I could find out more about my parents.

She poured the light brown liquid into a mug before sliding it across the counter and sitting down across from me.

"So—" She took a sip of her tea. "—are you in your seventh year, or are you returning?"