Chapter 14: Rally

Two hours after Nate defeated the executioners, the resistance and Gatewatch had gathered at the school to discus a strike on Bolus' hideout. However, there were quite a few conflicting opinions. 

"It's too soon!" one of the moms said. 

"Nate took out six Bolus soldiers TODAY, I think we'll be fine!"  responded a high schooler.

"You mean Nate and the Gatewatch will be fine. The rest of us would be totally screwed!" called another student.

"Then just send me and the Gatewatch!" Nate yelled, slamming his fists on the table and quieting the others. "I had to watch a twelve year old die today, I won't risk another life if I can help it." 

"Not alone your not." Eddy said.

"If you're going then so am I." Tom insisted.

"You say that like the rest of us aren't coming too." Sylvia stated.

"Like it or not, you're stuck with us." Amy said, grabbing his hand. 

"How touching!" A voice called from the door way. Everyone snapped their heads to the door too find Dovin and a young boy that Nate recognized as a freshmen named Edgar, although Nate could have sworn that Edgar didn't know how to play. "Unfortunately, it's time for Nate to die." 

"Dovin!" Jace called, "Still running errands for the over grown gecko?" 

"Watch your tongue Beleren, This doesn't concern you anyway." Dovin spat, "My apprentice and I are here to challenge the boy." 

"Two on one doesn't seem very fair." Nate pointed out.

"Says the guy that single handedly took down all five of the executioners at once." Edgar called.

"Yeah but something tells me that you guys are a lot smarter than the executioners." Nate replied.

"True," Dovin mused, "Very well boy, you may choose a partner for a two on two battle." 

"I'll fight!" Amy called. 

"What're you doing?" Nate asked, pulling Amy aside.

"Helping you," Amy said casually, "Got a problem with that?" 

Nate sighed, he knew when he could or couldn't talk Amy out of something, and this was most definitely a couldn't. "Damn it, let's go." 

The rest of the resistance got into the bleachers while Nate, Amy, Edgar, and Dovin took the field.  After some discussing, the turn order was decided as Nate, Dovin, Amy, Edgar. 

"I'll start with a mountain and end my turn." Nate declared, the red flame appearing above him.

"I play an island and end my turn." Dovin stated as the blue water drop appeared.

"I play a Dimir guildgate and end." Amy called as the Dimir symbol formed above her.

"I play a woodland stream and end." Edgar said with the right half of the green tree and left half of the blue drop above him. 

"I play a plains and end." Nate said as the white sun shimmered into existence above him.

"I will also play a plains," Dovin began, "Then for one white and one other, I summon an impassioned orator." the white orb changed into a door that the orator walked out of, the door disappearing as soon as it was closed. "I end my turn."  

"I play another Dimir guildgate and end my turn." Amy declared. 

"I play a mountain and end." Edgar said, smugly.