chapter eleven: abtruse manners

Scarlett thought that perhaps, even deep down, she should have been deterred by Harry's aggression. She'd seen the warning signs. A misogynistic bar owner who had no filter. A man who clearly took what he wanted without consequence because that's just how powerful he was.

Yes, she should have been deterred but she found herself to be more captivated by him with every passing encounter.

It was thrilling, to let him take the reins and do as he wanted. He was so intense, and even though they'd only had sex once, it was hands down unlike anything she'd ever experienced. She thought what happened in the office was a shock, but she liked that he'd controlled her and taken his pleasure from her. It pleased her to please him.

And that was something very unlike her. She strived for control, strived to have men falling at her feet, and while Harry worshiped her, he was the boss.

Because her demand for power was driven by something deep, she wondered what secrets he harboured that made his need for control just as dire as hers.

It intrigued her, but she wasn't sure if she wanted to know. Even her own demons terrified her sometimes.

Harry became withdrawn as they made their way back to through the hallway. She had freshened up in the bathroom after their time spent in his office, but felt so overwhelmed and conflicted by the turn the night had taken and how he was quiet once they got to the bustling bar and slid onto the vintage stools.

She'd wager that his withdrawal was due to her annoyance at him before he pulled her away to his office. Now that his high had depleted he was left to wonder if maybe he was too harsh.

His glare watched the patrons of his bar, a bartender sliding a glass of something dark onto the countertop, it was obviously meant Harry requested one every time he came from his office. He seemed so far from her, deep in thoughts with mild irritation and concern that never seemed to leave him.

"Another wine?" He asked her as if she'd had the chance to finish the last glass.

"No thank you, I should probably head off." She claimed.  He snapped from his daze to look at her before taking a swig from his glass tumbler.

"Are you sure?"

He was surprised she was leaving, acting as if he didn't just humiliate one of his staff in front of her and then drag her into his office to bruise the back of her throat. She needed to recover mentally from the whole night, from his anger and his arousal.

"Yes, it's a work night."

He ran his hand through his long curls, pushing them away from his face as he offered her a small smile and a faint nod. He rubbed his hand along her thigh with a squeeze, his rings glistening.

Harry careened his head, peering a few booths back to lock eyes with a tall man sat in the booth next to Xander, whom she'd met very briefly before. Xander had a woman draped over his lap, kissing at his neck. Harry gestured the other man over with a curl of a finger.

He was brunette, slicking his hair back with the flat of his palm as he approached before slapping that same hand flat to the bar top.

"Sup, boss?"

"Sebastian, this is Scarlett."

Sebastian gave her a once-over, his gaze sneering as he took her in, chewing a piece of gum between his teeth. He was cocky and terrifying, much like Harry but his eyes were far less guarded, a shimmering carelessness that made her uneasy.