Chapter 3 - Suspense

The homecoming feast ended in a blur of dancing and wine. At some point in the evening you had even made a friend - another young woman around your age with flowing brown hair and a laugh that chimed like bells. There had been something familiar about her. And you hadn't placed what it was until you spotted a unique, faded tattoo on her left shoulder. You can't remember what it was, but you remember thinking it was symbolically human.

You had found another Midgardian among the Aesir. Just like Loki said there'd be.

Overjoyed to catch a glimpse of home in another human, you stuck close to her side. Loki watched from nearby with a smile as you spent the rest of the evening dancing with your new friend. Until you nearly fell off the table after just a bit too much ale. Loki wasted no time in sweeping you off your feet. Between sweet kisses and gentle giggles, he carried you all the way back to your quarters, helping you to change and tucking you in tight.

Somehow, you managed to wake up this morning without a hangover.

Until you remembered what today was, and the same gnawing pit of nausea settled in - just as bad as any hangover would have been.

Today is decision day.

You pace the bathroom floor, and wipe the tears from your cheeks as you dig your thumb into your palm, your nail cutting at the skin. Taking a few deep breaths, you walk over to the mirror, and stare into the reflection of your red and puffy eyes.

This is my choice.

You've repeated this over in your head at least a thousand times since your conversation with Loki on the balcony. And yet with Odin's audience only moments away, you can't seem to still your beating heart. Nor smother the little voice in your head screaming at you to run back to your family on Earth.

"I'll be back by poker night!"

"You'd better be, squirt. You still hold the pot!"

A single, guilty tear rolls down your cheek as you let out a small laugh - you never expected to hold the pot forever.

Inhaling slowly and evenly, you wipe your eyes and place a cool, damp cloth to your face and reground yourself in your resolve.

This is my choice.

You distract yourself by adjusting the golden ties at the back of the floor-length, ruby red kyrtill that hugs your body. Then you take Loki's golden ribbon and tie back the top half of your hair, letting the rest fall effortlessly over your shoulders and down your back. With a final glance in the mirror, you're relieved to see the redness in your eyes has faded. Finally satisfied, you exit the bathroom to find Loki adjusting his own hair in the dresser's small mirror. You suck in a small, surprised inhale at his matching set of red and gold robes that sport a long crimson cape with fur around the shoulders.

Caught off guard, you fight the smile that tugs at your lips. Loki typically stuck to the greens, blues, and blacks. You've never seen him wearing a hue as bold as this. You notice how the rich red seems brings out some color in his cheeks.

"You look amazing," you say, walking up to him and tucking one of his raven locks behind his ear.

"You stole my line, darling," he says, taking you into his arms and placing a gentle kiss on your lips. You stand with him for a moment, letting your cheek rest against his chest, listening to the beat of his heart, once more at peace with your decision.

This is my choice.

"Are you ready?" Loki whispers, his lips on the crown of your head.

You nod, and Loki offers his arm to you. In a show of comfort, he places his other hand atop yours, gently squeezing in reassurance as he leads you through the palace back toward Odin's golden throne - Hliðskjálf.