*Chapter 5 - Breakfast*

Following your afternoon in the cave, Loki had taken time to wash away the wax and bathe your body in soothing oils that had cooled the small burns left behind. The pain had vanished, but you had noticed there were still small red streaks across your body - Loki had assured you they would disappear in a day or two.

After the sun had set leaving the cave dark and cold, the two of you rode back to the stables, then retreated to Loki's room as a host of various servants brought courses of bread, cheese, and wine for you to feast on in bed. You and Loki had spent the evening speaking of good things to come and the future ahead, until the hour grew so late you drifted asleep in his arms, never hearing his whispered plans to one day find a path out of Asgard. Promises of how he would steal you away to see your family, then travel the realms together.

You may not have heard him. But your dreams seemed to as they passed in flashes of soft hands and bright colors. The smell of mint and warmth of sunlight.

You wake to a breeze that tumbles through the open balcony door, caressing your bare shoulders and sending a shiver down your spine. With a small yawn, you crack a tired eye and spot your sleeping God, still holding you just as close and tight as he had been when you fell asleep. But now, his face wears a rare expression of peace. The lines in his forehead gone, and his breath even.

Satisfied, you allow your eyes to once more flutter shut.

*KNOCK* *KNOCK* *KNOCK*

Your eyes fly open at the loud series of knocks at the door. Adrenaline rushes cold and sharp through your veins as Loki jumps from bed,  completely naked.

"WHAT?!" Loki yells in aggravation as he rubs the sleep from his eyes.

He approaches the door angrily, throwing it open to reveal a wide-awake Thor, who is seemingly undisturbed by his brother's nudity.

"I come to bid you good dawning, brother!"

"Perhaps if it was yet dawn," Loki scowls murderously. "Then I would return the tiding."

Thor chuckles. "Your time on Earth has turned your inclinations," he teases. "There was a time you would rise even before the sun! Do you not remember why father put locks on the palace doors?"

"I was nine," Loki mumbles.

"And already prone to stalking the palace grounds before first light to cause trouble," Thor says with a booming laugh.

"Are you here for a reason?" seethes Loki. "Or simply to eat away at my remaining intellect?"

"Aye, there is cause," Thor grins.

"Then by the gods, what do you want you lummox?" Loki scowls.

"I would like you and Lady Y/n to accompany me to the dueling ring this morning! So go, dress yourself. And take care of your...situation. By the state of you, I take it you have not actually seen Lady Y/n yet this morning?" Thor jests, letting out a laugh as he punches Loki's shoulder. You feel your face burn bright red as you realize what situation Thor is most likely referring to.

In response to his brother's teasing, Loki simply steps aside with a smug, close-lipped grin. You let out a startled squeak and grasp at the bedsheets, clutching them tightly to your naked chest in embarrassment.

"Oh! Lady Y/n!" Thor stammers in unease. "I apologize for my intrusion. I didn't know-I didn't realize....I-I will be going." Thor turns quickly and retreats down the hall, but you managed to see just how crimson his cheeks turned before he left.

Loki slams the door with a growl, and crawls back into bed, lying exhausted on his back.

"Well, that was embarrassing," you whisper quietly, covering your face with your hands.