3.

Azzalea woke up freezing. She could have sworn the salesman at the sporting goods store said this tent was for all weather and was water resistant, but she woke up with damp hair and blankets.

"Oh no."

She slipped out from the sleeping bag and unzipped the first flap of the tent and peered out through the screen. The rain poured down. Now that she realized how loud it sounded tapping on the tent, she didn't see how she slept through it.

The cold air rushed through as the rain changed directions. "I have to stop the water."

She was up on her feet and rummaged through one of her backpacks. She found the tarp she brought for emergencies.

Ignoring the cold rain on her, making her night shirt stick form fitting to her body, she unraveled the tarp and placed it over her tent and fastened it to the stakes with bungee cords.

She rushed back inside and was satisfied when no more drops landed on her. Azzalea rummaged through her stuff again and found her instant hand warmers. She popped a couple and held them tight, appreciating the warmth they brought her.

Everything was a little damp, but not bad. As soon as it's sunny again, it will be fine. She thought and prayed for a break in the rain.

Azzalea tensed as she thought she saw something move in the woods In front of her tent. She caught a glimpse of something brown. Probably a deer or elk.

She quickly zipped her flap back up. Whatever it was, she wanted no part of it.

~~~~

I should have known she'd be wet. River watched the female struggle to set her green piece of plastic up.

She looked so proud as she fastened the last hook.

River moved around to the other side of the tent as she went back inside. He heard her zip it back up. The cool air hit the tiny bit of his exposed face. He was wearing his heavier, thicker fur.

He smelled something like food in the wind.

At least she is eating.

River turned away and walked back to his cave. There was no sense in sitting there watching her get rained on.

~~~~

For three days it rained steadily. Azzalea tried to start a fire and would get nothing but smoke.

She sneezed and coughed. It was getting colder by the second and she was starting to feel sick. She didn't think her hair ever dried from the first day.

She dreaded the coming night. Something told Azzalea the temperature was going to get close to freezing.

I'd rather freeze to death than go back.

Azzalea surprised herself by the thought. She had never been suicidal and would have never harmed herself physically, but if tonight was the night she left the world at least she wasn't with Randy.

She would pass away peacefully and not by his hands.

Azzalea lit the emergency candle she had packed. Either she was just really cold or this thing was giving off a lot of heat in her tent. She carefully set it aside, afraid if she knocked it over the whole tent would catch.

Grabbing a package of tuna, she tore it open and poked at it with her fork. She covered her mouth as a coughing spasm hit her.

She grabbed at her chest and slowly regained her breath. Azzalea took in some water and frowned at her water bottle. It was empty.