Chapter fifteen

Time flies by and the end of the summer is fast approaching.

The last few weeks were far from easy, they were filled with nightmares, flashbacks and panic attacks. 

Every single time my brothers were by my side to guide me through them. I felt like such a burden, but they made it clear they would support me through thick and thin, because we're a family. 

It's still feels strange to have five brothers that would do anything for me. 

Nick had planted seeds of self-hatred in me, he made me believe I wasn't worth to be loved. After a while I started believing his lies.

Due to the several sessions with Alex, I finally started to heal from the years of abuse. 

It would forever remain a stumbling point, but I would learn to live with it and accept it. I will have ups and downs in the future, I was positive that the good days will eventually overpower the bad. 

Now and then I would reveal a part about the past to my brothers, mostly after a nightmare or flashback. 

It felt good to finally share the burden with people who never judged. 

We had an unspoken agreement that we will focus on our future, and won't be stuck in the past, because we can't change it anyway. 

In a week school will start again, Ethan and Aiden will join me.

They were held back a year when dad died because they were absent for the last four months. I didn't realize his death had such a big impact on them.

I wanted to ask him how he died, but I hadn't enough courage. It seemed to be a touchy subject. I was sure they will tell me when they are ready.

I was a little nervous to start in a new school, but it was for the best. In my previous school I was the strange girl who didn't really talk to others. 

I started being antisocial when mom died. In the beginning I was grieving her death, and after I stayed away from people to hide the abuse. 

I'm bad at lying and hiding my emotions, so I decided to keep my distance from everyone. I couldn't risk anyone finding out about my home situation.

A knock on my door pulled my out of my thoughts. 

"Hey monkey, what are you doing?" Aiden asked. 

Gradually I was able to stay alone again. I still spent most of the time with my brothers, trying to make up for all the time we have lost during the past few years.

I wasn't afraid of being alone anymore, except after waking up from a nightmare. When that happened, I made my way toward one of my brothers' bedrooms and stayed there for the rest of the night. 

At first, I felt guilty for disturbing their peaceful sleep, but they reassured me they didn't mind at all.

"I'm just thinking about school."

"Are you scared to go?"

"Not really, just a little nervous."

"I'm sure you will make friends in a blink of an eye. Also, you're not alone, you can always come to us when there is something wrong," Aiden said.

"I know." 

"Speaking of school, Isaac asked me to take you shopping for school supplies."

"Give me ten minutes to freshen up a bit." I smiled. 

It was extremely hot today, so I decided to wear an airy-blue dress with cute ruffles. 

The dress had long sleeves that hid my scarred arms. My legs had a few, but luckily they don't stand out.