Chapter 4 - Preventing Worse

Katta left the airport of London Heathrow and took a taxi to the address Magnus had sent her. London was the perfect city to submerge. The bustle on the streets, the tourists, the deafening noise of millions of people. It was a forty-minute drive until she found herself standing in front of a giant skyscraper directly next to the Thames. 

Katta watched the entry for a few seconds before she took a sharp turn and aimed at the entrance to the building next door. It was a common trick. Hiding in the shadow of something big, breathtaking. Who would look at a rusty old car when a Rolls Royce stood nearby?

Like the safehouse in New York, this flat also opened with the chip in her wrist. Katta threw her handbag in the corner of the room and got rid of the heels. She was tired, but before taking a nap, she needed to examine the flat and take a few precautions.

In the wardrobe was a selection of various clothes, shoes, wigs and bags. As always, were the weapons hidden in a secret compartment of the coffee table in the living room. From the TV, Katta could address different security cams in her environment, and at the fridge had been pinned a little note.

"Hope you like it, XO Magnus."

Katta opened the fridge and found a box with sushi, chocolate, and a red wine bottle. Sighing contently, she opened the box and took a bite of the sushi. The flat's windows had been laminated with a one-way foil so that she could look outside, but nobody could look in from the other side. The view over the Thames was breathtaking.

Suddenly, her phone started vibrating. Katta dug into her pockets and looked at the display. A suppressed number tried to call her. She lifted the phone to her ear and answered. The voice of her brother clung to out of the phone.

"Katta, how are you. I heard that you decided on a change of scenery."

Katta chuckled upon hearing his choice of words. "You could say that. But everything's fine. Why are you calling?" she asked, holding the phone between her ear and shoulder while opening the wine bottle.

"I had a surprise meeting with the black widow. They are coming for you," he quickly retorted. Katta froze in her movements before she slowly placed the wine bottle back on the table.

"What do they know?" she asked.

"Not much, I think."

"You didn't give them any bits of advice, did you?" she hissed at her older brother. Silence. For a few seconds, the only sound was his breathing.

"No advises they could actually use, I mean–"

"I swear to god, Erik, when I get you –," Katta snarled into her phone, only to be interrupted.

"Calm down, Kattalina. All they know is that you might not have dressed as inobtrusive as they thought. I needed to say something to get them off my heels," her brother explained.

"Fine, thank you for the call." Katta huffed, leaning her head to the cold surface of the window.

"You're welcome, little soster. Be careful." The phone clicked, and the call ended.

Katta closed her eyes and drew a deep breath. It seemed like her nap would need to wait. She raised the phone and dialled a few numbers. It rang two times before somebody answered.

"Clint," Katta stated dryly.

"Katta?" he answered.

"Listen," she huffed. "Whatever you're planning. Leave it be. This is my only warning. Go and find somebody else to join your superhero club."