Chapter 6 - Malice.Gloom.

Arne's phone vibrated the moment he aimed at a terrorist. The sniper laid on the roof of a building in Mexico City, his rifle pointed towards one of the most wanted mafia heads in this area. He held his breath and pulled the trigger.

The head of the mafia guy jolted back, and he fell. The guards around him shouted in confusion and looked up to spot the shooter. Arne quickly disassembled his gun into its parts and packed them into the bag. He left the building and vanished into the crowd of people forming around the dead man and the guards that would probably be executed for not protecting their assigned person. Their fault. When he reached his car, his phone vibrated again. The number was suppressed, and the message only contained a few words.

"KATTA - SOS - STARK TOWER - UNHARMED - 5".

Arne pressed his lips together and got into the car. He'd known it the moment Clint had appeared at their BBQ that it meant trouble.

Quickly, he answered the message. "Available - 4." It seemed like he'd make a trip to New York.

〰〰〰

Magnus looked at his computer screen and processed the messages he'd received from the Harlovsens. Arne would be in the safe house in four hours. Erik and Olaf also were on their way. The others were too engaged to help. But three men would be more than enough.

In a rush, Magnus prepared everything for their arrival. His personnel on-site would prepare another safe flat and get the needed weapons and equipment to do this. They broke into secured buildings before, but the Stark tower would be a challenge.

〰〰〰

Bucky stood in front of Katta's cell door. Through the bars, he saw her lying on the mattress, her face averted. Nerves were settling in. He'd done countless interrogations before. Most of them as the winter soldier, but in general, he'd gotten everybody to talk in the end.

Katta, however, promised to be a challenge. She was nothing like anybody he'd met before. Bucky didn't know what would await him once he started the conversation.

They had been trained a similar way, so she would probably know his tactics and how to react to them. He entered the key combination, and the door slowly rattled open. Beforehand, two chairs had been placed in the middle of the room. He took one, waiting for Katta to react, but she just laid on the bed, her back rising and sinking in regular motions.

"Will you take a seat?" he finally asked. Katta slowly rolled on her back and looked at him.

"Don't feel like it."

Bucky swallowed an annoyed answer and sighed. He leaned back and watched her staring at the ceiling.

"It was a bad nightmare last night, wasn't it?" he said. Katta didn't answer.

"In my first night in the tower, I also had one. I was ready to beat my way back to the base when Steve found me and chained me to the elevator. I came back to myself in the morning. The soldier is still in my brain. Somewhere. Waiting for a weak second to take over again."

He watched Katta, but she kept staring at the ceiling, her mouth only slightly twitching. Bucky leaned forwards, his elbows on his knees.

"When I was captured again by H.Y.D.R.A, all they had to say were the activation words to make me their mindless weapon again." He made a short pause. "Every time I look at myself in the mirror, I can still see the thing they had made me."

Katta turned her head and looked at him, her eyes filled with an emotion he couldn't spot. She bitterly chuckled while she raised her shirt, revealing long scars all over her lower stomach. Bucky's eyes widened as he took them in. They were immense.