Chapter 9 - Virginia

The Harlovsen headquarters was something Magnus was very proud of. Besides the offices, it contained several rooms the Harlovsens could stay in between missions or when they weren't hired. The extensive training centre could compete with the best gyms. And in the laboratory, they worked on new security systems and smaller weapons.

The construction of weapons had never been an emphasis of the Harlovsen business. They concentrated on managing missions, submerging and staying under the radar.

Magnus sipped on his coffee, the tenth already. Damn Super Soldier Serum. It had made him strong, really strong. But at the same time, his body has been altered to quickly dismantle harmful substances. And whoever had decided that caffeine was harmful belonged to Guantanamo, hung by their thumbs.

A message appeared on his computer screen. Magnus placed the cup next to the keyboard and opened it.

"Mission failed." The sender of the message was Arne.

Magnus cursed. They wouldn't have left her behind if Katta hadn't commanded them to. He knew that the Stark tower would be challenging, but somehow, he'd hoped that Arne, Erik and Olaf managed to free Katta, regardless.

He wanted to push it away and proceed with setting up the new safehouse in Soho, but Magnus needed to see if Katta was in immediate danger.

It took him two hours to overcome the Stark security system. Magnus had to admit that Tony Stark was one intelligent motherfucker. His systems seemed to improve on their own.

As he finally hacked into the cameras, he found Katta sitting in a room that didn't seem to be locked. She looked okay for her state, not as if she was seriously harmed. He breathed out, relieved.

The only thing that nagged on his nerves was that they wouldn't try a second time to get her. It was a part of the deal they'd made years ago. One try - nothing more.

Still, Magnus would prepare everything just in case she managed to flee herself. It wouldn't be the first time. Turning around on his chair, he faced Fenris. His brother was responsible for intercepting information from security agencies worldwide. Together, they sat in the Harlovsen Head Quarter and observed worldwide occurrences. If something happened, one could be sure that they already knew about it. It was part of their network and one reason they were so popular with clients worldwide.

Knowledge meant power.

Fenris frowned, watching the screen of his display. "Look at that, Magnus." He waved his brother over. Stepping behind him, Magnus examined the screen's record. It looked like a NASA file.

"This radiation has occurred over the last few weeks more and more frequently with increasing strength," Fenris stated, pointing at the curves of the graphic.

"Could it be from a foreign satellite?" Magnus asked, going back to his computer starting tapping.

"Unlikely. The only satellites nearby are not evolved high enough to send such strong signals." Fenris leaned back in his chair. Magnus started a search to compare the radiation to others they had recorded before. The computer started working, and he stood up to get himself a coffee, his brother on his heels.

"So Katta's out?" Fenris poured some sugar into his mug.

"Yes. For now. Erik, Olaf and Arne tried it, but she cancelled the Mission." Magnus sighed, stirring his beverage. "From what I saw on the security cams, she seems unharmed and not locked away."

"Why would she change her mind all of a sudden?" Fenris wondered. "There must be a leverage included."

"Most likely, but I didn't search that far. There are more important things at the moment. Liv is on a mission for the MI6, and I was all busy with controlling her environment," Magnus replied.