[53] An Informant's Infamy

"Chrollo," you greeted with a terse smile, eyebrows knitted together. "What are you doing here?"

If somebody had told you a week ago that you would be back in your world with your classmates, you would've told them they were wildin'. If they tacked on that Chrollo Lucilfer, leader of the Phantom Troupe, was offering you guys help instead of trying to kill you? You would've not-so-kindly referred them to a psychologist.

And yet . . . And yet. Here you were, out on the streets of York New City with your friends, no contact from Ai, and Chrollo Lucilfer standing in front of you all with a coy and knowing smile.

"I'm not here for a fight, don't worry. I'm back in this world, and that was my goal."

Of course it was — with his nen back, there was nothing stopping Chrollo from regrouping with the Phantom Troupe. However, you couldn't overlook his other goal in getting you to join the Phantom Troupe. Vaguely, you understood. Now that you were communicating regularly with Ai (at least, when they weren't giving you radio silence), you could see how Chrollo would want to utilize your unique ability. Not that you'd ever let him, but he seemed determined.

Taking a step in front of your friends as if to shield them, you scowled up at the man. "Like hell. Why would I believe you when you literally said you were going to force me to join your little girl gang from before?"

Gray eyes seemed to pierce through you in a calculating gaze, the small smile never leaving. "Hm . . . Ideally, having only you here and the chain user and Hisoka back in your world would be the best case scenario." His words had you even tenser than before, your entire body rigid. "However . . . Not only is one of my colleagues back in your world, but I think it'd be in everybody's best interest if your friends went back to their own world."

The way Chrollo said 'friends' made it seem as if he couldn't quite understand the notion of actually having friends. Assuming that his 'colleague' was probably Illumi, considering assassins and thieves usually worked together, you frowned.

"[Y/n], there's no way you can believe him."

A hand on your shoulder startled you out of your thoughts and you looked back to see Hanta, his face more serious than you had ever seen it. The others looked as equally serious, unease and graveness etched on everybody's features. Chewing on your lower lip, you tossed your options around in your head.

By no means did you trust Chrollo, nor would you ever trust him. Cynicism overpowered your thoughts as you mulled over his words. Clearly, he was here with some reason — he wasn't the type to just appear to harass somebody, unlike Hisoka. Chrollo always had a purpose, and from his words and phrasing, you could hear the hidden implication that he was offering his help. Why? How? There was nothing to be gained from helping your group, unless Chrollo really did just need Illumi back here, and your friends back in their world.

No matter how you looked at it, the predicament was confusing all around.

Hesitating, you turned back to Chrollo, whom had been waiting patiently, hands leisurely in his trench coat pockets.

"I don't trust you at all," you started slowly.

Chrollo quickly interjected. "I'm not asking you to trust me, I'm only offering my assistance in finding what you need. Scouring the city like you currently are will lead you nowhere."

His words made you pause again, [e/c] eyes narrowing skeptically. ". . ."

"You can't be serious! Are you really considering his offer?!" Neito's voice was clearly stressed, and you fully turned around to face them as you snapped back.