🌻Chapter 41

🌻

"I have a better idea," Yaya told Gulf.

"Oh? What's that?"

He realized that they were only now reaching the real reason she had called him there.

"I want you to take my place."

"...Take your place?" he repeated, uncomprehending.

Yaya explained in a clear voice, "I want you to marry Mew in my place to avoid causing an uproar."

Yaya had shocked Gulf into silence when she mentioned that she didn't want to get married. But that had been nothing compared to his reaction now.

"Do...do you know what you're saying? You can't be serious," he shouted, flatly rejecting the idea. And knowing just how serious Yaya was made it all the more impossible to condone her proposal.

"I meant every word," Yaya insisted. "If we call oťf the wedding, they aren't going to just act like nothing's happened and go ahead with Mew's coronation. We've come this far, now we have to make sure everything continues as planned,"

"Maybe, but..."

This was taking things much further than just replacing a maid in order to escape the palace. Not only would he be deceiving the royal family and government officials, but Mew himself. Gulf couldn't do it. It was unreasonable.

"I think you should talk to Mew first," he said.

Yaya lowered her eyes sadly at this suggestion. "There's no time."

"Come on..." Gulf pleaded.

What would Mew think? How would it affect his reputation? This would be effectively stabbing him in the back.

"I'm not going back."

As Yaya said this, the door between their room and the reception area opened. Leila came in, carrying the bride's clothes. They were chastely white, the hijab covered in appliques of golden thread. During the coronation cefemony, the crown would be placed over this cloth.

"I can't do this," Gulf said adamantly.

"But didn't you agree that it was outrageous to marry against my will?" Yaya asked.

Gulf hesitated. "Yes, but..."

Yaya didn't back down. Her decision was final and she would allow no further discussion of the subject.

"Trust me," she said. "Everything will be fine. We have to do what we know is right. Otherwise, we'll only live to regret it."

"Yaya..."

Her strength of will amazed him.

AA was still completely silent, a grim look frozen on his face. He was out of his depth now too.

Normally, Gulf would never allow this to proceed. It was not exaggeration to say that this crime was punishable by death. But if Yaya was having second thoughts now, then they would all regret this moment forever after. He had to do what he could today.

Yaya's determination overwhelmed Gulf. He couldn't turn her down just because he didn't want to do this. He stood there, unable to move or think of what else he could say. Yaya grew impatient and signaled Leila to work.

"Excuse me," Leila's finger rested on one of the buttons of Gulf's thwab.

"I give up," AA let out a long, deep sigh. He was back to his old self. He must have shrugged off his confusion at last. The look of agony had disappeared from his face.

"AA...".

Yaya gazed at him, but eyes misting. Confronted with an expression like that on Yaya's prideful face, AA couldn't help but be moved. He was, afer all, the one that she loved. His eyes held a powerful resolve as well.

"No one has ever been able to stand up against you, Yaya." he said finally, with a smile.

Yaya was a woman who could change Madina and the royal family. The first step was for her to marry the person she loved.

Gulf renewed his conviction and helped Leila to pull the opulent clothes on.

The clothes swirling around his body were designed in such a way that the difference between his proportions and Yaya's was almost invisible. It was all strangely comfortable, and somehow the hem fell exactly the right length, almost as if it had been made for him.

The workmanship was so beautiful that it commanded admiration. Countless pearls picked out a rose pattern on the white silk. No other jewels had been used in order to better highlight the necklace, a huge emerald surrounded by pink diamonds.

Even on a man like Gulf, the effect was so bewitching.

"It's quite a piece of work," AA looked Gulf up and down, as if Gulf had become a whole new person. "It looks perfect for you. That's impressive."

Gulf reddened as AA let out a laugh. He glared at AA and Yaya led him to a sofa to sit down. Leila began applying make up with much greater flair than when he had impersonated the maid.

"Come here."

When everything was finished, they led him to a mirror. Gulf didn't recognize himself. He looked like a completely different person.

"You may be even more beautidul than Yaya," AA mused.

Yaya stared at her beloved. "I hope you don't mean that."

"No. No. Just a joke, of course," AA raised both his hands, indicating his surrender to Yaya's grumpiness.

Gulf had come this far, but now his fears overtook him again. He shuddered to think that he would have to stand in front of Mew dressed like this. Maybe the man wouldn't recognize him if he kept his face covered. Maybe the ceremony would go exactly as planned.

But what about afterwards? What would Mew do when he found out? Gulf couldn't imagine.

He was committing a horrible crime...

He turned away from the reflection in the mirror and looked back at Yaya. "I'm sorry...I can't---"

Before he could finish, Yaya cut him off. "If you refuse, I'll be forced to commit suicide right here. Nothing would cause Mew greater shame than that. If his bride cast him off while the entire world was watching, he wouldn't be able to become king and he would be a laughingstock for the rest of his life."

"I----"

Gulf shook with terror. Whatever else happened, he couldn't let her do that to the man he loved. He was wrapping his arms around himself for reassurance when a knock came at the door. He cringed and quickly pulled the silk niqab across his face. Yaya quickly left the room.

TBC

A/N: All the members of that royal family is so selfish.😤