Day Off

When Cav said she wanted to take me somewhere for our day off, I thought she meant like a little coffee shop or something.

I was completely confused when we pulled into the parking lot of a paintball field.

As Cav shut off the ignition of her Porsche 911 RSR (street legal model) I opened the door, and stepped out, stretching from the hour-long drive.  Once my back was cracked out, I joined Cav by the front of her car, and we headed to the main entrance. 

"So, why paintball?  Don't you think we've had enough of shooting and being shot at?"  I ask, curiously.  Caveira chuckled, holding open the first door for me.

"Yes and no.  Besides, it'll be fun"  she spoke, nodding a 'thank you' as I held open the second door for her.

"Um, babe?  No offense, but since when do you do things for fun?"  I ask, chuckling.  Caveira smirks.

"Even I need to let loose and have some fun idiota.  Now, that being said, let's have some fun"  she ordered.  I nodded as we stode over to the check in stall.

"What'll it be today?"  the clerk asks.  Cav and I take a minute to look over the options, and we come to a conclusion.

"We'll do a three hour session with the unlimited paintball package"  Cav orders.  The clerk nods, and rings us up.

"That'll be $145.89.  Cash or card?"  I hand him my debit card.

"Put in on the plastic good sir"  the clerk laughs and completes the payment, handing me the receipt.  After I sign his copy of it, he points us to a large shed next to the three-acre field.

"Gear and guns are in there.  Remember, barrel jackets MUST be on when not in the field."  he orders.

"Yes sir"  Caveira confirms as we make our way over to the armory.  We get in, and hand our receipt to the dealer, who then hands us two crates chalk full of paintballs.

"If somehow that's not enough for your playtime, you can come back and refill"  the dealer said.

"Really?"  I ask.  He nods.

"Benefit of the unlimited paintball package.  Anyway, what guns would you like?"  he asks revealing various ones.  They all looked the same to me, just various paint jobs.

"I'll just take a standard black and grey"  Caveira said.  The guy nodded, pulling one out from under the desk.  Smiling, she felt it up.  "Ergonomically comfortable.  All I need"  she nodded.

"And for you?"  the guy asked, looking in my direction.

"How much for that chrome blue one?"  I ask, pointing to one of the chrome guns.

"Ah, you have a good taste"  he smiles, taking the gun down.  "Goes for $150, but I can make a deal, seeing how you guys want three hours with the unlimited package.  $80 and it's yours to keep"

"Sold"  I say immediately, handing the guy $80 in cash.  Smiling, he hands me the gun, as well as a rag, and a sheet of what I can only guess are stickers.

"She requires a deep clean at least once a month, on account of the mechanical hopper.  Waxing is not required, but it brings the shine out.  The patches can be applied right to the weapon for some personalization.  Enjoy now!"  We thank him and, after getting our gear from another stall, head to the gear-up area, and get ready.

"I still think even $80 is a bit much"  Caveira whispered to me.  I shrugged.

"We get paid tomorrow from HQ.  Plus, I barely made a dent in my balance."  I whisper back.  "Besides, unlike you, I save my money"  she smirked.

"I have a brain, idiota"  she said, putting on her battle belt with reload cartridges.  "I save my money."

"Oh is that why you own an RSR?"  I asked, eyebrow raised.  She was at a loss for words.

"Touche.  Other than the car, I save my money."  I nod.  Have to agree with her on that.  We finish gearing up, and after a safety and instructional demonstration, we head into the field.  Somehow, for this first round, we were sorted into opposite teams. 

"Good luck"  I say to Cav, giving her a quick peck on the cheek before lowering my face mask.

"You'll need it"  she smirks, lowering her own mask.  I chuckle and meet up with my team.

"Nice gun"  one of them points out.

"Thanks.  Still have to break her in, so lets win this"  My team all raises their guns, in toast formation.  After that, the ref blows the whistle, and we begin.  I split off with one of my teammates, and we work our way across the hill towards the back of the field.  "By the way, my girlfriend is on the other team, and she's a stealth expert, so always watch your six"  I tell my teammate.

"Will do"  he says, radioing the rest of the team.  "Just informed we have a stealth operator on the other team.  Have someone constantly watch you six"  he said to the team, everyone acknowledging.  We sneak around the hill, eliminating any enemies on our way around.  We park behind a rock pile overlooking their base, where the red team flag sat.  Oh yeah, we're playing capture the flag.

"Ideas?"  I ask my partner.

"They obviously have people posted around the flag, so a frontal attack won't work."  he spoke, topping off his hopper.  I think for a minute.

"What about a false lead?"  I suggest.  He cocks his head.

"I'm listening"  I explain the plan, and soon enough, we were putting it in motion.  My teammate went right up the middle, while I stayed hidden, working my way around the back, taking out any enemy players I came across.  I watch as my teammate grabs their flag, and takes off for our base.  I chuckle at a job well done, and start to head back, until I'm knocked on my back.

"Did you really think it'll be that easy idiota?"  I chuckle as Caveira's voice came from the enemy hovering over me, gun pointed in the air.  I shrugged, getting up.

"Well, we have the flag, so you tell me"  I boast, hoping onto my feet.  We're way to close to fire at each other, so we just stand there, staring at each other.  Cav comes closer, and we stand inches apart.  Slowly, she lifts her mask so that I can see her face, but she's still wearing it.  I see small beads of sweat drop down her otherwise perfect face, and think about how lucky I am to have her in my life.  She slowly lifts my mask up so that it's on the same position on my head as hers is on her head.  "Babe, we have to have masks down out here-"

"Shut.  It"  she spoke in a soft, inquisitive tone.  Before I could utter another word, her lips connect with mine.  I quickly collect myself from the initial stun, and kiss her back, placing my hand so it's cupping her face.  I love this woman to death, and I just want to stay in our current position for ever.  Unfortunately, oxygen is a thing, and we break apart.  "I'm never gonna get tired of that"  she spoke, laying her head on my chest.  I wrap my arms around her, and rest my chin on her head.

"Neither will I"  I promised.  I felt her smirk into my chest.

"You better not"  We then heard the bell go off, signaling the round was over.  Sighing, we broke our embrace, and lowered our masks back over our faces.  We cover our barrels with their jackets, and exit the arena, and check our scores.  Sure enough, my team, team blue, won the first round.  "Ready for round two?"  Cav asks, taking a swig of her water.  I chuckle, nodding.

"Game on"  I challenge. 

'Best day off ever' I thought.