Chapter 8 - Brothers

"I'm fine Thor," you laugh as Thor eyes you suspiciously. "See? I don't even have any bruises. Loki took care of them. Let it be."

"Very well, my lady," Thor says. "But should you change your mind I will drag him to the dungeons myself to stand trial."

"Not if I find him and stab him, first," snarls Loki.

"Would you not prefer to see him in shackles, brother?" Thor frowns. "You need not always resort to murder as a first option."

Loki frowns, his lips pressed together in a tight and disapproving line as he seems to consider Thor's words. "Fine," he finally grumbles. "You may put on the shackles. But then I kill him."

"Would you both please calm down? I'm fine. It was a bar. Shit happens," you say, shrugging.

"I assure you my lady, 'shit' doesn't happen on Asgard," says Thor angrily. "Besides, no man but my brother is to lay a hand on you."

Loki glances up at Thor, a mixture of amusement and surprise on his face. Loki has always been envious of your close relationship with Thor. You can see that his brother's support for your relationship, even in moments like these, means a great deal to him.

But soon enough, that look on Loki's face is gone, replaced by one of savage intent.

"I might still kill him," says Loki, flipping a long, serrated blade in his hands. "Thor, did you recognize the man?"

"I did not, brother," Thor says, eyeing Loki's drawn knife. "But today is not the day for bloodshed! You know this!"

Loki looks up quickly and glances from Thor to you, a mild panic hidden in his eyes.

"Not the day?" you ask, laughing. "Why? Is it a holiday or something?"

"Oh, I-I...well, no, my lady...I only meant that-well," Thor's stuttering and Loki's wide-eyed panic causes you to get suspicious. You press the question.

"What's so special about today, Thor?" you ask, approaching Thor with your arms crossed.

"I think what my dearest brother is trying to say is that we don't tolerate such things in Asgard. Especially on a Friday," Loki says self-assuredly.

"Saturday," corrects Thor quietly.

"Saturday," Loki corrects himself, pushing Thor out the door. He shuts it tightly behind him, leaving you alone in your room.

"Uh, wait, guys?" you question, moving to the door yourself and tossing it open only to find an empty hallway. "Loki?" you call down the hall, met only with silence. "Hello?" you shout again, receiving no answer.

Perplexed, you shut the door to your room once more, and wander back to your easel, picking up a brush and lightening your strokes, rolling your eyes when you realize Loki was right.

-----

"Thor? Loki?" you call down the halls quietly, searching for one of the brothers. Since they had mysteriously disappeared from your room a few hours earlier, you hadn't seen hide nor hair of them.

"Your Highness?" 

A tiny voice - sweet and clear - calls out from somewhere in the corridor. From behind a thick golden curtain stumbles a young girl with long, honey-brown hair. 

"Oh! It's you!" you smile, recognizing the young servant girl from several days prior. The one who had caught you and Loki in the hallway. Your cheeks warm in embarrassment as you think back on what she had caught the two of you doing. 

"Are you okay?" she questions with a curious tilt of her chin.

"Of course. And, sorry. I don't mean to be disruptive," you laugh.