Chapter 11 - Confrontation

Using your sleeve to wipe away the stubborn tears that continue to fall, you re-trace your steps, finding your way back to the large, regal hall where you had overheard Odin and Frigga's argument.

With every step, your heart feels as if it's splintering. The pieces driving into your lungs like stakes, making it hard to breath. Your vision is blurred. But you keep walking.

"My dear?"

A gentle voice calls out to you, and you look up to see Frigga standing at the end of the hallway. You glance at Odin's shut door, torn between running up to it and banging on the thick wood, demanding to be seen, and running to Frigga.

Before your head chooses, what's left of your shattered heart decides for you, and your feet carry you to Frigga, who holds out her arms as you run to her. You throw yourself in her strong, comforting embrace and sob, as she hushes you, stroking your hair.

"Are you all right, child?" Frigga asks as your breathing calms.

You pull away to look at her.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness," you say, apologizing for your breakdown, trying to control your voice as it breaks beneath the stress of your tears.

"Nonsense. Come, and tell me what troubles you," Frigga says gently, taking your arm and guiding you down the fine hallway towards another large, ornate bedroom. She brings you to a long day bed near the window, and takes a seat next to you, holding your hands in hers.

"Now tell me, what has disturbed you so?" she asks, motherly concern in her eyes.

Your lips part, all five million and twelve thoughts racing through your mind trying desperately to spill from them at the exact same time. Instead, nothing manages to get through, and you simply look at Frigga, eyes wide and filled with tears.

"Just take a moment," Frigga says in understanding. "Breathe, then speak."

You breathe deep through your nose, those racing thoughts slowing as a single image remains in your mind. One of a hunched over old god with a grief-tight jaw and tear-lined eyes.

"I met Bragi," you whisper tearfully. "At the Tavern." Frigga's brow creases, betraying her confusion. But she remains silent, patiently waiting for you to continue. "He was so...broken," you sob. "And he was alone. Surrounded by gods a-and music and drink but completely and utterly alone." The slight downturn of her lips betrays Frigga's understanding. Still, she remains silent, waiting for you to say what she already knows. "I overheard you and the King," you confess. "I didn't intend to, but...I heard your argument about my immortality."

Frigga's brow creases, as she lets out a tired sigh. "My dear, I am...so sorry."

"Why wouldn't he tell us that?" you whimper. "Why would he let us believe?" Tears well up, rooted deep down into your chest. But you choke them down, desperate to get through what you need to say. "You were right," say in a strained whisper. "Loki...I can't-he can't...I-" but you're unable to get through the rest of your sentence as your shoulders begin to shake once more.

Frigga remains quiet, holding your hands in hers.

"I can't stay." You finally manage to speak the words that had been poisoning your heart.

"What?" says Frigga, taken aback.

"I can't stay in Asgard," you beg. "I can't let what happened to Bragi happen to him too."

Frigga's frown deepens as she regards you closely. "I do not know what tales you've been told," she says. "But what happened to the God of Song is not what is happening here," Frigga says sternly. "He suffered a loss unlike any other."