Quickened Questions

A/N: This chapter is much lighter than past ones, but could still be possible triggers. I would really appreciate it if people took the time to read the ending A/N however, totally fine to skip it!

Karl awoke comfortably but in an unfamiliar home. It smelled like a strong cologne, and the soft grey blanket the laid over him brushed against his warm skin. He looked up and saw Nick smiling down at him gently. 

"Morning sleepyhead," He said with a laugh. The sunlight streamed in through a window behind his head and blinded Karl, who sat up off Nick's chest and rubbed his eyes.

"Are you alright Karl?" He asked when he didn't hear a response from the smaller boy. He just nodded but didn't say anything again. Nick's face melted with worry, but Karl gave him a gentle smile to reassure him. The stronger boy pulled the other into a tight hug, and they just sat, enjoying each other's warmth. Karl had finally started to feel complete again. Every time Nick touched him a little piece of his light returned to him. They continued in silence as Nick finally stood up to make them food. 

Karl actually ate it. It wasn't a lot, but Nick was proud nonetheless. Still, not a word was exchanged between them until Nick addressed the main issue.

"Karl, I think I should take you back to Bads. I can stay there with you if you'd like, but I don't know how to help you here," Nick said with pleading eyes, filled with concern. Karl nodded in agreement. He finally felt like he wanted help. A whole new perspective had made him realize that he wasn't okay. When he looked into Nick's glittering eyes, he wanted to stay. He wanted to stay forever.

"So we'll go back today?" Karl looked at him with admiration and nodded. Despite the life that filled him, he still couldn't talk. He wanted to shout, to tell Nick how much he had missed him, how much he loved him, but no words would form.

"Are you ever going to talk to me?" Nick didn't understand his struggle. He knew what was wrong, but why did that mean he wouldn't speak? Why couldn't he hear Karl's melodic voice? He watched as Karl's face fell, ashamed at his own incapability. Nick sighed, knowing he wouldn't get a verbal answer.

"It's alright Karl. We need to get going though, do you have everything?" Karl nodded, still embarrassed, but they left out the front door and loaded into the car. They drove, still not speaking, but music from Nick's Spotify filled the silence. 

"Karl, do you want me to stay with you when we get there?" Nick asked softly, breaking the silence. Karl nodded, and continued to stare out the window, watching the neighboring cars and distant trees whiz by. 

-

When they finally got back to Bads' new home, Karl was exhausted but was greeted with tackling hugs from everyone who was waiting for him. Dream held him especially close and was shocked when Karl returned the hug. 

Karl was okay. 

-

It was evening again. The group shared each other's experiences trying to help Karl while he slept on Nick's arm peacefully. 

"It's like he's back Nick, he actually hugged me back!" Dream said, completely ecstatic. 

"I don't know Dream, he's still sleeping an absurd amount. Should we try the streaming thing again? He got really excited last time, maybe he'll want to stay this time," George suggested, chiming in from the floor by the coffee table. 

"I need to stream tonight anyway, let's wake him up in a bit and invite him," Skeppy added. The group agreed, and a few of them headed up the stairs to the offices. Dream and Nick stayed in the couches to watch over the sleeping boy.